Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #11 
carbonxxkidd

I think that sounds good! Just make sure you plant all the stems separately, I didn't and ended up losing a few due to the bottoms melting off before they could root :( I've learned from my mistakes now, though. The girl at plantedaquariumscentral sent me some extra stuff too, which was awesome...if I remember right I got a free bunch of hygro corymbosa and an extra java fern. If you use the code "BETTAFISH" all caps on checkout you'll get a discount too.

I know I spent like $60 on plants from there when I set up my tank last month. Definitely worth it though! Even with shipping I think ordering online was cheaper than buying in stores around here, some of the plants at LFS are like $7-$10 for one plant!!!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #12 
Kwomais

I found mine on craigslist. NOT snail free, but that's ok, I'm getting an assassin for that (& if Alpha happens to have a snack on a baby ramshorn or a little pond snail, then that's fine too). I paid about $10 for all the plants you see in my tank. If your state has an aquarium club, that might be a good place to look too; sometimes people are looking to get rid of their overgrowth so you can pick it up for a pittance!
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #13 
Vizja13

I know, and they always have quality issues...and my 5.5 still has snails. Granted, Cap eats them all the time, but still.

Good point, am I overstocking them then? Should I cut down to only 2 of the Bacopa Carolinia?
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #14 
Kwomais

Bah! The more, the merrier, I say. I mean, look at my tank! lmao My BF saw it after I planted it and said "where's the fish going to go?"
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #15 
Vizja13

Yeah, well, Student budget so >.> Meh, I can always chuck any extras the 5.5 or the 10...both have the Flourite substrate
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #16 
Kwomais

Oh I hear you! Thanks to school I have a negative income haha! That's why I started hunting on craigslist. Because I couldn't afford the $5-$10/plant that the LFS & Petsmart wanted per plant. Instead, I spent the $10 on 15 hygros, 5 sunset hygros, a golfball of javamoss, 3 java ferns and a handful of the subwassertang. Actually, the guy I bought the sunsets & subwassertang from threw in the java moss & ferns for free after he found out that I was a student with a betta (apparently he used to breed)! He had a piece of drift wood that he would have given me too but it was too big for my tank's opening lmao
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #17 
Vizja13

Wow, that is impressive! Wonder if there's any fish clubs near me

And now I really should go get a head start on my Latin class...since it's online and i just got access and yay first tests due Friday!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #18 
Kwomais

You do that and I'll work on my *oh so intriguing* "Self and Others" nursing class lol. GL with the plants!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #19 
Vizja13

Back! Mom and I got in an argument so looks like I'm doing rocks today instead of a college tour she wanted to go on? O.o Her logic is failure