Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #1 
sterling

Question My Fish Has Popeye! HELP!! And is dirty?

I know its pretty simple to treat popeye but I have ghost shrimp in my tank as well. I want to move them out for the time being untill my betta is healthy. I have another tank that is much larger that currently has guppies and another betta in it as well. If I were to put the ghost shrip in with the other fish, is there a chance of my fish getting popeye? And also for some reason the betta that is currently sick, ever since I got it, seems to be very dirty. I've never had a fish get so dirty that no matter what I do or put in the tank to aid in cleaning, get so dirty so fast! Could my betta have something more than popeye? I've had it for over 2 years but this is the first time its ever gotten sick. Any ideas??
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Your Betta gets dirty? I've never heard of this so I don't know what you mean? Are you talking about the tank or the fish itself getting dirty? As for treating popeye, I have no experience with that but I'd remove the Betta I to a QT tank if possible to treat.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

First off, with your first betta how big was the tank... What was the temperature... How much and what was he fed... And what did you have in the tank?

I find, obviously the smaller tanks and bowls do get dirtier fast.

POPEYE is from two different things... ONE is an infection, often caused by bad water quality. The other is injury related. When panicked or darting about a fish may run into the corner of something and poke their eye... Sometimes resulting in blindness, sometimes in an infection.

GHOST SHRIMP have nothing to do with TRANSFERRING popeye. Like stated above, it is an infection caused from bad water quality or an injury related wound.

WHat size is your tank? Are you meaning you had the shrimp and betta in that said tank?

POP EYE TREATMENT: Usually it is as simple as cleaning your tank. This will ward off any further infections, however if it is a lot worse (please provide picture for us) epsom salt can reduce swelling. PRE DISSOLVED, 1-3 teaspoons per gallon with EVERY DAY CLEANING of the quarantine tank or bowl, and re-adding the salt.

Are you using tap water conditioner?

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-21-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 
callistra

More info is needed to make sure we are not missing anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #5 
sterling

The betta with the popeye is in a 2 gallon tank. I added the ghost shrimp about 3 months ago and they helped keep it clean alittle bit more. I usually clean the 2 gallon tank 2 to 3 times a month, the temp is about 70 degress, i feed it Aqueon Betta Pellets Betta Food 2 times a day (only small amounts), i also have a filter that came with the tank, and even though I've done alot to keep the tank clean it always seems to get very dirty and smelly fast. I plan on moving the betta to a smaller tank untill its better. The other betta that is with the guppies has had popeye before and I was able to treat it no problem.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

A 2 gallon needs to be cleaned 2-3 times a week, especially with shrimp. Contrary to belief, anything that cleans makes MORE waste than most people realize - plecos, algae eaters, snails and shrimp. Shrimp do not help keep it clean... They might eat algae but NO bottom feeder eats poop.

Cause of popeye: ammonia poisoning. Lower temperatures also makes the betta more prone to infections and parasites. Most common: columnaris, velvet, ick, popeye.

If you move him to a smaller tank you'll need to clean the tank every day in order to help him heal.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

I agree, amping up your cleaning routine to 2 times a week will help a lot. Until your fish has recovered though clean the tank 100% daily.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #8 
callistra

They are right.

If you let us know about your other tanks we may be able to suggest things to keep them healthy too.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

We want to make this hobby as great of an experience as we can for you :3

I will also make a note, reading back... You have had this fella for two years, which means he is reaching 3-3.5. As they age, they do not get hardier. Much like people... The young and the elderly are often most at risk for flus... Bettas are the same. The young and elderly are more prone - things they could fight off before, no longer becomes something they can fight later.