Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #11 
Fenghuang

Could you be talking about a doubletail betta? Some DTs don't have an extremely distinct split.

I'm a firm believer in letting people breed whatever they want as long as they do it ethically and humanely, and take responsibility for the animals they breed and the offsprings that result.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #12 
Cole mccallister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Could you be talking about a doubletail betta? Some DTs don't have an extremely distinct split.

I'm a firm believer in letting people breed whatever they want as long as they do it ethically and humanely, and take responsibility for the animals they breed and the offsprings that result.
no split just double rounded areas that are one piece but looks like a heart the bottem being the body of fish
Cole mccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

none of my vt's ever had heart shaped fins.

One thing i hate about most vt's at petshops now a days is that their tails are so thin and pathetic. I can't even imagine how anyone finds them pretty. I like my boy, he has a nice full tail that doesn't seem to taper to a point. When he flares it looks like a flag and it's not too long. He had what I consider a prefect tail for a vt. Nice and round at the end too, I see less good looking vt's at petshops every year. It's gotten to a point of being very hard to find vt's with nice tails I don't even bother with them anymore. I only took in Hollow because someone owned him and didn't care for him properly, he turned out to be one of the rare boys with a good full tail.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #14 
Cole mccallister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
none of my vt's ever had heart shaped fins.

One thing i hate about most vt's at petshops now a days is that their tails are so thin and pathetic. I can't even imagine how anyone finds them pretty. I like my boy, he has a nice full tail that doesn't seem to taper to a point. When he flares it looks like a flag and it's not too long. He had what I consider a prefect tail for a vt. Nice and round at the end too, I see less good looking vt's at petshops every year. It's gotten to a point of being very hard to find vt's with nice tails I don't even bother with them anymore. I only took in Hollow because someone owned him and didn't care for him properly, he turned out to be one of the rare boys with a good full tail.
hmm well i have found plenty of big veils at wal-mart the only place they sell female vts and cts but are so lazy they just lable female and never mention what kind of females but males are fine thooo.... i prefer a natural look lol
Cole mccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #15 
VeilTail

My boy Wally has one of the longest tails I have seen on a VT. It is around three inches on his tail. Walmart rescue.
VeilTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #16 
Myates

Heart Tail Betta are actually a type of Double Tail. The split of the double tail only occurs at the outer edge of the caudal creating a notch in the tail forming a heart shape. Although this strain is just a "faulty" Double Tail, it is highly sought after. Many people trying to develop this strain end up with true complete Double-tails.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeilTail View Post
My boy Wally has one of the longest tails I have seen on a VT. It is around three inches on his tail. Walmart rescue.
In my book long means nothing if it's thin. It has to be round at the end, not taper to a point or look like a long little twig following the fish. Sorta more my idea of what a veiltail should look like is this.

and not this, which is what I see a lot and it's just...well I would never buy them, they look sickly.

The skiny thin tail no matter if it's long or not looks weird. Fuller larger tails with a little less length look nicer IMO
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #18 
Myates

The first picture is showing a VT with a good portion of his fin missing. The second one shows a vt in motion which sometimes creates the thin impression.

Some will hold their fins more open though, I've had success in keeping the VTs I had keep their tails spread by giving them a good flaring a couple times a day to build up those muscles.

I do understand what you are saying though, and I agree having some flare is better than complete droop..

Here is pretty much the closest to what is considered to be the standard - elongated tail with some droop and down to a rounded tip.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I like vt, but I disagree with you. A veiltail Will never sell for as much as a halfmoon because they are so common, and there are millions of vt dying on the shelves that people could rescue but instead are contributing even more to the problem.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #20 
Fenghuang

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem paying as much as I would for halfmoons for veiltails that look like these:

Yes, common sense--the majority of people are shallow by nature and won't be willing to pay as much for common ugly fish as they would be willing to pay for rare, nice looking fish. But the other tail types aren't all that rare either. Some stores don't even sell veiltails anymore. All they have are HMs, DTs, and CTs, and lots of them. Trust me, I've seen some really ugly ones and wonder who the heck would pay eight to ten dollars (if not more) for them. Quality VTs are not the common. If I see an unique looking VT with nice fins, I may pass up a HM for one. It's a matter of taste and opinion.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote