Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1 
Roscuro

breeding

i would like to breed its just that i dont want so many fry

help
Roscuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #2 
bryanacute

Culling. No matter what you will have to cull deformed fry. But do you know what culling is?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #3 
Myates

Breeding costs quite a few hundred to set up - even for one or two spawns at a time you are looking at closer to a thousand+ dollars to set up breeding.. so keep that in mind. And all the time each day you will need to spend on multiple water changes. Also you don't want as many fry - as mentioned, cull (kill) a bunch, but whatever you keep you will still need to keep separated once they become aggressive, along with keeping all the containers/jars warm.

You can have anywhere between 1 and 500 fry born - it's up to you how many you grow to adulthood. Many people cull to where they only have 10-20 fry to care for. Nothing wrong with that.. no one is going to get upset with you for culling down to the numbers that work best for you.

If you are wanting to breed so you can have a couple new betta pets.. I suggest just buying them.. as $3 for a fish from the store is a bit cheaper than a few hundred+ for a fish from breeding :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 
inareverie85

Some people will pull the female after she has released only some of her eggs to keep their spawn size smaller and more manageable. I've never done this before, myself, but I don't think it carries any health risks to the girl.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

If you don't want many fry then don't breed. You could end up with several hundred very very easily.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by inareverie85 View Post
Some people will pull the female after she has released only some of her eggs to keep their spawn size smaller and more manageable. I've never done this before, myself, but I don't think it carries any health risks to the girl.
i'd think that would be counterintuitive...if you get 10-20 amazing fry from a spawn of 200, you'd be cutting in a more or less correlating ratio, and maybe get only a few. you could, conceivably, end up with nothing but deforms and ten-cent fish.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote