Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #1 
StandingStonesArcher

An update on Alpha

Thought y'all might like to know how my Betta is doing. I've had him since last Thursday and he's been regularly fed twice a day (he's finally eating all that I give him!) Gave him some freeze dried bloodworms on Saturday and he went right for them! He's always displaying his full finnage and only flared when I left his aquarium light on after turning out all the lights in my room (I'm guessing he saw his reflection on all the walls of the tank). Puffed out his gills and just looked royally TICKED, so since then I've been keeping the tank light off and my desk light on.

Sometimes he hovers near the rock formation and just stares at me. It's really kinda cute. Otherwise he's quite active and usually rests under the filter (probably because it's darkest there.)

And today I noticed a multitude of bubbles scattered throughout the surface of the water. They're not really clumped against the walls, just kinda scattered around in a few random small clumps of maybe two or three bubbles. Does this mean he's trying to build a bubblenest?

BTW, still haven't purchased a heater, but since he seems active and healthy I'm guessing the water temperature's just fine.
StandingStonesArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Glad to hear that Alpha is doing so well. Sometimes bettas will just scatter bubbles instead of blowing a big bubblenest. At least that's what some of mine have done.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #3 
Flashygrrl

If you feed freeze-dried bloodworms make sure you re-hydrate them first.

Glad to hear he's doing well.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #4 
StandingStonesArcher

...Don't they rehydrate when they hit the water in the tank?

The instructions on the container specifically say not to touch the bloodworms AT ALL, and to avoid even breathing whatever dust there might be. Just tap a few straight out of the container into the aquarium. I'm not taking any chances so I'm following the directions to the letter, but Alpha thoroughly enjoyed them nonetheless.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #5 
Flashygrrl

Not enough especially if your fish is very keen on eating them. Use a spoon or something to scoop a couple out and put them in a cup of tank water. You take the risk of making him constipated otherwise. You're only feeding them as a treat and pellets as the staple diet, correct?

The instructions are because every so often people have been known to have funny reactions to them.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #6 
StandingStonesArcher

Yeah, the bloodworms are only a treat. I was thinking once a week. He gets pellets otherwise.