Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #1 
RoMay

Betta rant

We really need a betta rant thread I swear. We have a rant thread in the Lounge but nothing for bettas. However that is not my point to try. Not to much ealier today I was in Walmart (don't cringe yet) and I had this urge to go into the fish dept. There was a person looking at a half gallon wondering if it was actually 4.95. I couldn't help but to intervene, I tried the same tank with my baby minnows and nearly got a slaughter. At this time I didn't know they had bettas. But face it that long half gallon is horrible for any fish. Long story short they ended up asking me "why do they sell these if it's bad for them." I explained to them the whole rice patty thing, and it's better for the health of your betta. And bettas can be quite playful. Now this is a cringe part, apperently they have 2 females in a 2 liter. To answer all their questions better (they also where on the phone) I recommended this site but it's hard to tell that even if armed with knowlege if people will do more for their bettas. Maybe if they look on this site they will understand more the benifits and face it finiachial pluses of properly taking care of a betta. Face it, spending money now on a proper tank means less money spent on tanks, also better fish health you don't have to worry abotu so much. They also have a male which they were going to get a half gallon for. if you ask me that's no place for a males fins to be. Sorry just had to say something. I can't imagine what you true knowlegable betta owners must feel like.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #2 
blu the betta

i went to petsmart the other day and they had about 23 bettas. but out of the 23 about 16 were dead and rotting in their dish. almost all were sick and injured. what is wrong with those people. it makes me want to shut the place down.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #3 
RoMay

If I ever saw that many dead fish I'd be on the phone yelling at their headquarters, or filing a report with the Better Business Bearo (sp?)
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #4 
Stone

our local pet store at the mall is worse than walmart, and it goes far beyond just the bettas it is all their animals are unhealthy, it's truly sad
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #5 
blu the betta

they just want the money. they dont care about the animals.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #6 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Yes, true.

However, out of 2 visits to PetCo and 1 to WAL Mart, I have seen 1 dead betta. :/
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #7 
Aroe

Actually, I was really happy to find out that our Walmart doesn't sell Bettas! Thank god, I'd probably buy them all.. xD
Aroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 
blu the betta

my petco is really good though. i have only seen one dead betta in 6 months. they all seem really knowledgeable. but i have seen about 4 with dirty water.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 
Newbettamommy13

I can't honestly say that I pay attention to the bettas at Petsmart but I won't buy fish there because each time I go there I see at least 2 dead fish (usually goldfish) in their tanks.
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #10 
blu the betta

at the petco it has about 1,500 goldfish in one tank but has about 230 fish dead at some times.