Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #11 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwomais View Post
I used to ask my parents to lend me their credit card for an online purchase by giving them the cash for the purchase up front. You are right about the convenience of returning to a store though...
My sister had issues with her aquarium stuff a lot, and had to bring a lot of it back to the store to get it replaced. For some reason, her filters need to be replaced every six months or so. So I'm kind of glad that I can keep up with water changes enough to not really need a filter.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Do your parents have an ebay account? I got most of my heaters off ebay or amazon.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #13 
bettacrazygirl86

No, they don't trust ebay. :(
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #14 
MrVampire181

Go through www.kensfish.com for cheap supplies. Very reliable seller.

The preset heaters aren't terrible but they're too cold for my tastes. I prefer my bettas to be in the mid 80s. 84-85 usually. 88 for power growing young ones.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would prefer adjustable heaters too but I have 3 of those preset tetra heaters and they work just fine in my critter keepers. My adjustable heater went bad on me recently, killing one of my fish so you can have problems with any heater.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Yeah I use the presets just in case the fish room space heater shuts off or something which has happened once before.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #17 
OrangeAugust

Try Craigslist too if you don't mind getting a used one. I searched craigslist for a 55 gallon tank and I saw a lot of ads for people selling just tank accessories like heaters, filters, and decorations. You have to be careful, though. There are sketchy people on there. I inquired about an ad for a 55 gallon tank for $100 including some fish. When I e-mailed the guy to ask what kind of fish, he said there were currently no fish. The ad had been up for about a month so I figured maybe he had rehomed them. His ad didn't have pictures but said he could send some. So I asked for pictures and he said he didn't have any. I asked him for dimensions and he said he didn't know. so at this point I was getting suspicious. I finally e-mailed him and said I wanted to see pictures or else I wasn't buying it. I didn't want to drive almost an hour to find out that it was in poor condition. He got back to me about 45 minutes later about how he wasn't home and his truck broke down and blah blah blah and I said, "ok, nevermind it's too late tonight. But send me pictures and I'll let you know if I'm still interested." He never sent me pictures, so the next day I made an offer of $150 to someone else who was asking for $200 for a 55 gallon tank and stand. They took the offer and I got an awesome tank and stand for a great price. Anyway, that was a long way of saying that Craigslist is good but you have to ask a lot of questions and be wary of anyone who changes their story or doesn't provide pictures.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 01-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote