Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #221 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I use filters on start up sometimes then remove them later and sometimes I don't use one at all....Not really a right or wrong answer to filter or not...With that said, in larger tanks-over 40gal...the water movement might be needed for nutrient transport-but you don't want or need a lot of water agitation at the surface since that can drive off the CO2.

Okay, it just seems to be kicking up more debris. That being said, I used Flourite by Seachem as my substrate and that stuff was MESSY--even after rinsing it. The water was very cloudy for several days, so I waited to put fish in. I've checked PH,temperature, etc each day and they all seem to be good. I currently have my filter running and there is a light (in addition to sunlight from a South Window. Today is day 5. I snapped a picture yesterday of my divided ten gallon, since I did that one first and it is much clearer. The water is a little clearer today than yesterday, but do you think I could add the fish or wait until the water is perfectly clear? I just don't want to keep them in holding tanks anymore than I have to.
Attached Images

Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #222 
Oldfishlady

I have never used Flourite and so I can't say if it is safe or not to add livestock.
By your pic-if this was a soil based tanks-I would say "no"-because it doesn't have enough plants to take care of the water-but I also can't see the whole tank either.

As for the kick-up the filter is causing-sometimes if you place a hard scape item under the overflow-that will help prevent it-also a large group of stems or a large sword or crypt can help.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #223 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I have never used Flourite and so I can't say if it is safe or not to add livestock.
By your pic-if this was a soil based tanks-I would say "no"-because it doesn't have enough plants to take care of the water-but I also can't see the whole tank either.

As for the kick-up the filter is causing-sometimes if you place a hard scape item under the overflow-that will help prevent it-also a large group of stems or a large sword or crypt can help.
The tank has 6 live plants in it right now. I've ordered some floating plants but they have not come in yet. I just got a couple of mystery snails today and they seem to be doing okay in the tank.

I know of another member that has used it so I will have to ask. And I'll add more swords next to the filter. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #224 
Mal72

Talking

Well, I have to eat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
The tank has 6 live plants in it right now. I've ordered some floating plants but they have not come in yet. I just got a couple of mystery snails today and they seem to be doing okay in the tank.

I know of another member that has used it so I will have to ask. And I'll add more swords next to the filter. Thank you.
I have to eat my words. The snails are in and now there is some piece of white stuff floating around, one of the plants (the only one not on your list, but they assured me it would work) has died. The heater does not seem to be working anymore and the water is cloudy still. :P I guess I'll be returning both the heater and plants after work :P
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #225 
jbk

Which Tank is best suited for Betta or in general Glass, plastic or acrylic ?
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #226 
JAGalletta

@jbk Please try posting a new post in another section of these forums. We generally (read definitely) try to stay on topic with our threads on this site. Since this is a very different topic than what we are discussing in this thread, I'd suggest this link for you: Post new thread in Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories or try searching for an existing thread on your topic.

I believe I can speak for all of us in wishing you the best in finding the information you are looking for in these forums. We'd be glad to help you in the proper section.

Regards,

John
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #227 
Aurie

To be honest I read the first page of posts and jumped to the last page to add a new post (to make sure it's still on the same topic).. seems good..

Thanks again OFL for the first post. I have been searching EVERYWHERE for good walstad methods for my 5.5 tank that I got back in june. I put orange/grey sand in it but now it's just down to a betta log, a fake plastic log and 1 crypt wendtii green. Pathetic I know.. I decided to dirt it up. Look for a diary soon!

I looked in many other forums and got good ideas but not for small tanks. I needed a "tell me like I'm a high school student" basic plan and you nailed it. I know other things are important in a small tank but I shouldn't have to be a chemistry major to figure it out (although I'm sure it helps).. some people just get so technical in their threads. I should have known there'd be something here on this forum. Keep it up. Many people are benefiting from the knowledge and won't post a thank you.!

Aurie
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #228 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
To be honest I read the first page of posts and jumped to the last page to add a new post (to make sure it's still on the same topic).. seems good..

Thanks again OFL for the first post. I have been searching EVERYWHERE for good walstad methods for my 5.5 tank that I got back in june. I put orange/grey sand in it but now it's just down to a betta log, a fake plastic log and 1 crypt wendtii green. Pathetic I know.. I decided to dirt it up. Look for a diary soon!

I looked in many other forums and got good ideas but not for small tanks. I needed a "tell me like I'm a high school student" basic plan and you nailed it. I know other things are important in a small tank but I shouldn't have to be a chemistry major to figure it out (although I'm sure it helps).. some people just get so technical in their threads. I should have known there'd be something here on this forum. Keep it up. Many people are benefiting from the knowledge and won't post a thank you.!

Aurie
Your welcome and thank you...I try to explain so that anyone can understand, however, sometimes I tend to talk in circles....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #229 
Sprinkles55

Hi OFL! I had a few questions.
I know you mentioned green cabomba is a stem plant, I was wondering if purple cabomba was too? I'm sure it is, but I wanted to double check.
Also i just started my 10g npt and was wondering if this is enough plants: duckweed, marimo moss balls, java moss, bronze wendtii, purple cabomba, water sprites, pygmy chain swords, hygrophilia corymbosa, and anubias. I just want to make sure it won't crash.

I was also wondering your opinion for filters in a 10g npt? Thanks!

Last edited by Sprinkles55; 02-01-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #230 
Sagat

From what I've learned, 75% coverage (viewed from the top) is considered heavily planted. So if you look down on your tank and see more than 25% plants, you should probably put more in it.

OFL, here's a trick question: If the floating plants cover, say, 50% of the ground and stems and rosettes only cover 25%, does that still count as heavily planted?
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote