Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #1161 
Bigj713281

So I've had hopz and Lloyd for almost a month and a half and they're doing great they look more happier here than how I saw them at petsmart and ever since I changed them to frozen blood worms they eat always and now my mom does let me keep them in a freezer so they're always fresh for them
Quick question if I've been feeding them bloodworms this whole time and I'm sure thats what they ate at petsmart would they eat brine shrimp
Bigj713281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #1162 
Chesh

They should take it with no problem. If they give you any trouble, start feeding them their worms with a turkey baster, and then slowly add the brine into it while they get used to things. I've never heard of a frog that didn't like brine, so I'm betting you'll have no problems. I think it's best to feed a variety of foods, anyway :) Good luck!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #1163 
LittleWatty

I only recently added brine shrimp to my frogs diet, and they took to it pretty quickly. They still seem to prefer the bloodworms, but that's ok. I mix them together, so they get a little of both.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #1164 
LittleWatty

To all of my fellow frog friends who keep community tanks: How do you make sure your frog gets enough food? With Tintri's tank its easy, since I just cup him while I feed the frogs. However, I'm thinking of getting a frog or two for Leo's tank. I just tore it apart and rearranged everything, so there's lot of hiding places. But, since I've got Leo and some zebra danios, it would be a lot harder to cup all of them just to feed a frog or two.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #1165 
Chesh

Nice tank! It can be tricky to feed them in community - I now have TWO community tanks with frogs, and I'll always swear up and down that they do best in species-only tanks, mostly because of feeding. Silly frogs! I know that if you scroll through this thread, you can find Gizmo's way - she has an area for each creature of her tank. Frogs are highly trainable, so I can see how it works, but I can never get my FISH to cooperate! I usually feed with a turkey baster. It works really well once the frog is used to eating from it. If you're patient for a week or so and only feed them in a specific area of the tank, they'll go running for their 'spot' the moment they catch a whiff of food in the water. Also good to remember that you CAN skip a feeding every other day if you have to. Sometimes it's easier to feed them this way in a community, as target feeding - for me, anyway - tends to end up with them getting a *bit* more than they actually need!

I actually just posted a video on my 55g thread of me feeding my tank. Only one lil' snip of the frog, just before the 2.5 minute mark - but he's CUTE!!! :D

Good luck with that set up! Keep us posted!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #1166 
LittleWatty

Thanks! My turkey baster was how I planned on feeding them if I ever did get the frogs without advice from someone on here. I might have to try the "specific" area. I kind of do that with Skinny and Tubby, but I always have to make sure Skinny gets some before Tubby eats it all, so I track her down right away. The past couple times I've been into my local petco, the frogs have been REALLY tiny... so, I'll probably keep the one or two that I get in their own tank for a while, until they get a bit bigger. Leo's a pushover, but he did get aggressive for a little while when I added the danios. He's calmed back down since then, and doesn't chase either his otos or his danios, but I still want my frogs big enough to be able to take care of themselves whenever I add them to the tank. That's the plan, anyway... so... don't be surprised if I show up with pictures of new frogs within the next few days! :D
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #1167 
Chesh

I'm having very similar experiences! The last two frogs I bought were WAY smaller than the two I got before, and every time I look in the store, they ALL seem so super tiny. I know my babies GREW since I got them, but they were definitely bigger at purchase. It's odd. . .

I also had the same thing happen when I put Freckles into the 55g tank. He had always been my submissive sweetie, and let the bigger female push him around from day 1. But when he got into the community tank, he was a little bit snarky while he was settling in! I was happy to see that he could hold his own against the fish, and once they figured out that he WILL nip at them if they get in his face, they've been good at leaving him to his own thing. . . this is mostly with my Rams, though - as far as the Kuhli loaches are concerned, after the first evening, he has NO problems with them at all - he'll let them sit on his head, lol! So far so good in my community - hope yours goes well too!

And you KNOW froggy spam pics are ALWAYS welcome! <3 froggies!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #1168 
LittleWatty

Oh, froggy pic spams are my specialty! :D I'll probably get a bunch of pictures of Tubby and Skinny when I introduce the one or two new guys/gals.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1169 
LittleWatty

I officially have two seemingly-healthy froglets! They're so tiny! Though, they weren't as small as the others. I told the Petco employee "the bigger they are, and the harder they are to catch, the better" so I'm hoping I got some of the older frogs. Pictures will follow within the next few days as I get them settled into their temporary tank. Now I just need to think of names... I can't call them Skinny and Tubby, but I could call them Twiggy and Chubby! XD I'd prefer something else though. Suggestions welcome!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #1170 
LittleWatty

Froggie pic spam! Don't have a whole lot yet, but the little guys are hiding just now. Got the few that I could. Is it just me, or does my one little froglet have really long toes? XD Also, one of them seems to be taking after Skinny. The one with the long toes was very interested in my camera!
Attached Images