Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #111 
LittleBettaFish

When you say a gun is a just a tool like a hammer, you have to remember that a gun was a tool essentially built for one purpose. To kill things. Whether that thing is an animal or human.

Sport and recreational shooting is something that is secondary to this purpose.

I personally feel that statements such as a 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' are stupid. A gun has basically been designed to kill. If a gun was just like a hammer, people would go to war using hammers, not guns.

While I do not think guns should be completely banned, I think it is important that people remember guns can be dangerous if handled incorrectly. How many stories do we here about kids getting killed or injured because they were mucking around with a gun? I read about some poor girl that got her face blasted off by a friend because he thought the safety was on and pointed the gun at her face.

Heck I saw a video of a police officer who shot himself in the foot while giving a demonstration on gun safety to students.

I don't think the need for stronger education, screening and controls is necessarily a bad thing. I think as a weapon, a gun is very impersonal. It would become easier I think to detach yourself from the situation as a shooter, than it would be if you had to run down and knife a dozen or more people to death.

I do think this is a topic is one of the big ones that divides so many Americans. You seem to see a lot of vehemence on both sides of the issues.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #112 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know why the U.S can't take a look at other countries and see how they handle guns and gun control. One member, I can't remember who it was who is from Australia said they have strict gun control laws and rarely have the kind of problems that we have here. I believe we have the right to have guns but we need to be responsible with them. Keep them locked up so children and nuts can't get hold of them. My dad had guns and was an alcoholic. He threatened my mom with them one time. He sat in our livingroom with two pistols daring my mom to make a wrong move.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #113 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I just don't get it. But then again I think I saw that some schools in America you gotta walk through metal sensing things like at the airport before they let you in. I obviously have no concept of the safety problems you must have down there..
that right there is parental paranoia more than anything else. the vast majority of schools are perfectly safe, but parents see things like connecticut and scream at school boards for countermeasures. then you have school systems with already strained budgets cutting money from programs like music and art to afford metal detectors in all of their schools. oh but Odin forbid they take that money out of the budget for their high school football teams!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #114 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Wow... you really don't think well of us do you Oly. That's your opinion and you have a right to have it, but sometimes what you say stings. Are you doing it purpusfuly or is your true meaning getting lost in translation?
honestly, americans deserve about 90% of the negative opinions leveled by the rest of the world. hell, i live here, and i hate the US, here government, and those who further her causes.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #115 
Bacon Is Good

Was the shooting in Texas at a school? YES!!! Was it illegal to carry? YES!!! Case closed
Bacon Is Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #116 
registereduser

did you see the news article about the gun show shootings? Hilarious!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-show/1847879/

These are the "experts"

PS: let it be known I am not anti-hunting as long as your aim is true.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #117 
FishyFishy89

LittleBettaFish, go put a gun on a table and see if it kills people. It doesn't kill anything unless a person is controlling it. That is where the saying comes from. So no guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people. Lastly, all tools can kill. You can kill someone with a screwdriver! And I can "hammer" a nail with a gun. Yes, I do happen to aim that well.

ETA: If guns kill people then spoons made people fat.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #118 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
ETA: If guns kill people then spoons made people fat.
I have never heard this before, but I love it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #119 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
I have never heard this before, but I love it!
Posted via Mobile Device
seriously? lol
it's been plastered all over facebook. Then again, I'm friends with and "like" lots of 2nd amendment supporters
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #120 
DiiQue

Please, lets not throw spoons into the mix.. I love my spoon and will not let anyone take that away from me! Hehehe
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote