Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #1 
Bettafishguy

Question I feel like a bad betta first time betta parent

Here's my situation I purchased a swanky wall fish tank, blue sand, and a poor blue betta from craft store.... I filled tank with distilled water, which I found out big no no. This was yesterday so now he is in a jar with figi artisan water it's all I had at the moment till I can get new water tomorrow. My dilemma is heating my tank I'm a bad parent and didn't research betta care prior to my shopping spree. I need suggestions for heating this tank with minimal cord distractions. Also the plant bulbs for fish tanks are they safe for bettas I love the thought of a live plant. Help please. Oh how do I know if my betta is male or female?
Attached Images

Bettafishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #2 
itsuki

long fins indicate that its a male.

as for heat you can try upping the thermostat in your house. placing him in a room that is warm/warmest room in the house or area of the room you want him in. placing him by a warm light (heat giving make sure it doesnt get too hot though) live plants will help maintain a better eco system for your little guy, dirted/soil bottomed tanks more so then plain gravel tanks.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #3 
itsuki

a more conventional fish tank would be better for him though, i think. besides that one looks pretty small.

oh btw if u do decide to keep him in that one, those a wall that is connected to another room and not one that it's opposite side is outdoors. the walls connected to other rooms tend to be slightly warmer then those that arent (also depends on the house) but feel the walls to see which is warmest. and heat raises so the higher up the warmer the temp but dont place him too high where it'll become in inconvience to you to do things like water changes

Last edited by itsuki; 01-23-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #4 
Myates

Tap water is the best water to use - filtered water/bottled water lacks the necessary nutrients/minerals needed. Tap water + water conditioner is ideal.

The temp in the house would need to be roughly 82-85* to keep the tank warm - as the water will be around 5* lower than room temp. And it will have to stay that temp 24/7 as fluctuations can cause health problems/death.. why heaters are ideal as they keep the temp steady. Keep in mind those tanks are more decorations and not always made with the animal's well being in mind.

If the bulb is made for aquariums, then it's safe for the betta..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 
itsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Tap water is the best water to use - filtered water/bottled water lacks the necessary nutrients/minerals needed. Tap water + water conditioner is ideal.

The temp in the house would need to be roughly 82-85* to keep the tank warm - as the water will be around 5* lower than room temp. And it will have to stay that temp 24/7 as fluctuations can cause health problems/death.. why heaters are ideal as they keep the temp steady. Keep in mind those tanks are more decorations and not always made with the animal's well being in mind.

If the bulb is made for aquariums, then it's safe for the betta..
well said