Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #1 
obxfiction

Unhappy ADFs Attacking Betta

Well, I added my 2 ADFs to Azure's 10 gallon tank a few days ago, and all seemed peaceful. Then, Azure started hiding at the top corner of his tank, behind the heater. I thought it was because the frogs overtook his pagoda (his favorite spot), and he was stressed. This morning, I thought he looked a little ragged, and he wasn't his usual bright blue. He looked stressed, and was sitting at the bottom. The bigger of the two frogs came over, and as Azure swam up, the frog grabbed his fin, and shook him. I immediately got both frogs out and put them back in their cube. Now, Azure is swimming around the tank, basically back to his normal color. He is no longer hiding behind the heater. He ate a pellet and 3 small bloodworms just fine, and seems happier. Do I need to do anything about his ragged fins? Will they heal on their own, and about how long does that take? Should I watch out for anything? It's insane how attached we are to him already. Thanks for any responses.
obxfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Yup, adf's and betta are a delicate balance as I posted in another thread. Sometimes the adf's are too aggressive and sometimes the betta are too aggressive. You have to get very lucky to get a pair that will work out.

As far as Azure just keep his water really clean and if you have it IAL to the water will help, warmer temps will help his tail heal, or you can buy stress coat and add that into the tank.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 
obxfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Yup, adf's and betta are a delicate balance as I posted in another thread. Sometimes the adf's are too aggressive and sometimes the betta are too aggressive. You have to get very lucky to get a pair that will work out.

As far as Azure just keep his water really clean and if you have it IAL to the water will help, warmer temps will help his tail heal, or you can buy stress coat and add that into the tank.
What temp do you recommend? His water is at 78 now. And what is IAL? Thanks for responding.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #4 
LadyVictorian

80 should be a good temp to set it at, and IAL are Indian Almond Leaves.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 
obxfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
80 should be a good temp to set it at, and IAL are Indian Almond Leaves.
Thank you. Where would I get Indian Almond leaves? I've never heard of them.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #6 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Probably just at a regular pet store.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #7 
Silverfang

IAL usually has to be ordered online, from Ebay or the like.

Dried oak leaves that are chemical and pesticide free are also good to use.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #8 
LadyVictorian

You can also get them on Aquabids or sometimes people on the site selling extra's.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #9 
Fishybitty

I'm sorry they didn't work out. I'm glad your betta is safe though. Do you have another empty tank where you could do a frog setup?
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #10 
obxfiction

I ordered the leaves from ebay, but in the meantime, I got the Stress Coat and added it to the tank. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank and all the accessories for the frogs, and will be adding them this afternoon. They spent the night in their original acrylic cube, under a warm lamp. Azure is hanging out in a corner at the top of his tank, but no longer hiding. He's eating fine. He looks better today, but still isn't swimming around and acting carefree like he was before the frogs. He still won't go inside his pagoda, where he used to hang out. I hope he gets over that. He used to love swimming in and out of it. Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated!