Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #71 
AyalaCookiejar

I love them! Two of my girls are EEs (wasn't planned really but they are SOO cute!) I think its a great idea! I've really taken a liking to PKs, females, EEs and dragons lolololol :) if I get another male I would like a PK or HM (or HMPK lol) since I have a VT and a CT
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #72 
Sparrowhawk

Yay! You should totally do it. ;) I think regardless of male or female, I'm definitely only getting PKs or HMPKs now, after dealing with one tail-biter, I'm terrified of having another. (I'm fairly sure the incident with Weehawk and Feyd taking a small chunk out of their tails was due to being suddenly unable to see one another after a couple of months of being peaceful neighbours, and nothing's happened since) I'd much rather have short-finned types who are less likely to turn around, see a thing they can grab a hold of and go for it. >.<
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #73 
Sparrowhawk

Also... I now can't stop staring wistfully at a couple of Aquabid beauties (all EEHMPK, 3 male, one female). I WANT THEM ALL! Hehe.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #74 
Sparrowhawk

Package after package keeps arriving at my house! It makes me feel giddy with excitement that my big tank upgrade will be underway a couple of months earlier than I'd imagined!

Yesterday a 10kg bag of gravel arrived (looks pretty amazing too, all sparkly and quartz and black, oooooh!) and today the three pieces of mopani driftwood arrived, and I also received a text message informing me that my giant order of driftwood (regular and gold vine), plants, moss and SeaChem's equivalent of Stress Coat was shipped today!

I'm doing this derpy little dance on my butt, sitting here all excited. Wheeeeee! ^.^
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #75 
Sparrowhawk

The giant order of plants and driftwood arrived today, which is great, it means I can start soaking the driftwood and getting ready for the upgrade. I'm only waiting on the air pumps and sponge filters now, and we can get started once the tannins have been soaked out of the driftwood.

Last night I had to move Falkor over to the little tank I used to keep him in. I noticed some discolouration on his fins where he'd bitten them off, and I'm both confused and upset by it. I'm baffled as to how he could've got ill, I've kept his water pristine, and unless there's been something in the water that my test kit hasn't picked up, I just don't know how he could have got ill...

As it is, I've started AQ salt treatment, and he's none too happy to be in a reasonably barren tank in comparison to what he was just evicted from. He's only got a few silk plants and IAL in there with him, poor thing. I just don't want to risk anything else but the expendable silk plants, y'know? The little guy didn't like the bookend he can see on one side of the smaller tank, so I've angled it all weird so it's harder for him to see, hopefully it'll appease him.

As for the other two, they're doing fine. I'm doing their 50% changes today. Feyd's is done, and I'm just waiting for the bucket of Weehawk's water to warm up. I couldn't put any hot water into the bucket unless I boiled it, as our hot water system isn't working...

Which brings me to annoyances. I want to be able to have a shower. That's what's driving me up the wall the most today. Not the back pain, not the lifting heavy things for water changes, no. I just want to have a bloody shower, not an awkward sponge bath, or spending hours boiling water to warm a bathtub full of cold water up so I can wash quickly before it cools down again. I just want my shower back. WAHHH!

An electrician is coming tomorrow, as we're not sure if it's the fuse box that's stuffed or the hot water unit itself. Here's hoping it can be fixed tomorrow, and I will never have been so thankful for a shower as I will when it's fixed and I can have one again, haha.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #76 
Sparrowhawk

Woooo, the air pumps arrived today as well! And since I was spoiling the fishies so much I decided to get myself a cheap little something from eBay as well, and that came today as well. A pair of nice flowy wide black pants. I'm always thinking to myself that I don't have any flattering black trousers to wear aside from skinny jeans, which aren't that awesome in summer, now I've got some, yay! Loving the smocking on the waistline as well, since I'm losing weight it'll still fit later down the track. Happy times! Now if only I could shower... LOL!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #77 
AyalaCookiejar

Yay new clothes! And air pumps! And the electrician coming tomorrow, lol!

I can't wait to see your tanks all fixed up and maybe a new boy in the future :) too exciting!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #78 
Sparrowhawk

Hehe, yeah, lots of yay! Even my anti-pet grandma loves the EEPK boys I've been eyeing off on AB so it may very well happen in a few months' time. She's only anti-pet because in her words, "It's too upsetting when they die to just keep going through it" (we lost our Nala kitty back in 2010, and she's had a fair few cats and dogs in her past) so I can see where she's coming from, but in my opinion the joy they bring far outweighs the sadness and work that comes with caring for and ultimately losing them.

I'm estimating only about a fortnight until everything we need for the tanks is here, so exciting things will be happening soon! Squeeeee!!

Little Weehawk is busy building a bubble nest, and so is Falkor in his hospital tank. I'm glad he's found something to do that isn't biting his fins, though I think he just ran out of fin to bite and is now just occupying himself with his nest... :-/

Feyd's the only one not busily building a nest, instead he's investigating the spare tank full of driftwood that is soaking next to his tank, hehe.

It's getting to that point in this big tank project where I'm waiting more anxiously than ever for the last couple of items to arrive so I can get cracking, hehe. I know I need to be patient and wait for the driftwood to soak more, but I reckon by the time the rest of the stuff gets here it'll be fine. I'll actually be absent from here for a day while I get it all done! A day without forum time? It seems unthinkable, lololol.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #79 
Sparrowhawk

Found out something interesting an hour or so ago... Apparently the sponge filters I bought are stackable/modular, so you can create as much surface area for BB to colonise as your water depth allows, theoretically... Interesting! I may have to consider that when the time comes, surely more BB would be more beneficial, especially if I want to introduce shrimpy tankmates someday. I'd even like to have shrimpy tankmates in the currently empty, formerly Falkor's tank before another betta is housed in it, to hopefully minimise their chances of being nommed.

I also found some awesome-looking LED fixtures I'd love to get my hands on, depending on the answer to the thread I posted about them. If they really would be as good for my plants as they seem to be, I'm going to have to be greedy and get those too, eventually.

Falkor's still busy building that bubble nest of his. I'm glad he's decided to keep himself busy with something. The nest is gigantic! It's covering the entirety of the underside of the IAL I've put in there with him...

Back on the topic of shrimp, though... I'd love to be able to have fancier-looking shrimp. I guess I'll use glass shrimp as canaries in the mine, so to speak, and if they work out get some bright coloured ones somewhere down the track. Cherry shrimp, and some lovely looking gold shrimp would be fantastic. Unfortunately Weehawk can never have cherry shrimp in his tank, as he can't stand red, but Feyd would be fine with them, and we'd have to wait and see what Mr/Ms Newbie, if I get one, thinks of different colours before being adventurous.

So much good stuff! Thank goodness for the nice stuff that's happening, with all the stressful stuff that's going on (hot water being nonexistant, $400 water bill etc.) I don't know what I'd do without the fun things.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #80 
Sparrowhawk

A little random, slightly snide tidbit before I go to bed: Why do events (mainly nightclubs) and the people that work for them use phrases like "The only reason not to be there is [insert ridiculous impossible catastrophe]"? It doesn't entice me to scrape the bottom of my wallet and force myself out of the house, all it does is make me smirk and make a few sarcastic remarks about the establishment.

Sure, this may have something to do with me having worked at a lot of the alternative nightclubs that run/have run in Melbourne, and my knowledge of how dodgy things are in the industry and thus not wanting to participate in the gossip, cliques and other crap that goes with being a part of alternative nightlife...

But instead of that silly stuff that doesn't fool anyone, why not lure people in by having fun little activities on the night, an incentive for people to make an effort with their outfits, or even simply "This is going to be a great night!" rather than the overused cliches clubs tend to spew forth in an effort to get people through the door.

Well, that was a random rant, hehe.