Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 
RabidAliver

Some advice for a split tank?

This is going to be my first split tank, and I'd like to know some of the essentials that I need to know when I actually get the tank. I'd appreciate any advice all you lovely people can give :D

What I have so far:
50w heater
Air pump for filter (may change this for a HOB filter, but I'd like to know a good brand)

What I plan to get:
Mesh divider
10gal tank kit
fluorescent lightbulb for hood

Aside from these things that I know I need, I'm kind of lost on where to go from there. I don't know good brands of filters, or what else is needed for the split tank aside from the mesh and filter and such
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

I think that is all that you will really need for your tank. Be sure to use some mesh that you know is fish safe..... I recently used fly screen as mesh dividers.... I had used it in the past without any troubles but this time I used different fly screen (still the rubber type stuff but stronger) and it poisoned all of my bettas. They almost died but luckily with a lot of TLC they eventually recovered. I learnt my lesson I will never use anything in a fish tank unless it is especially designed for fish.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #3 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I think that is all that you will really need for your tank. Be sure to use some mesh that you know is fish safe..... I recently used fly screen as mesh dividers.... I had used it in the past without any troubles but this time I used different fly screen (still the rubber type stuff but stronger) and it poisoned all of my bettas. They almost died but luckily with a lot of TLC they eventually recovered. I learnt my lesson I will never use anything in a fish tank unless it is especially designed for fish.
Yeah, the mesh I'm looking at is made specifically for 10 gallon tanks, so I would hope that it would be safe. Would it be a good idea to give both boys plenty of hiding places too?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Yeah that mesh should be safe, it would be a good idea to have some hiding places for them so that they can 'get away' from the other betta and feel less threatened however that being said they do get used to seeing eachother and soon realize that they can't actually get to each other. I just have a silk plant in each division for my boys
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #5 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hey there,

Yeah that mesh should be safe, it would be a good idea to have some hiding places for them so that they can 'get away' from the other betta and feel less threatened however that being said they do get used to seeing eachother and soon realize that they can't actually get to each other. I just have a silk plant in each division for my boys
Ooh okay :D I just was wondering if that would be a good idea. Thank you for the advice!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #6 
mld02004

You can also use craft mesh for needlepoint. Very cheap and you can cut to size.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #7 
efg321

I have used the craft mesh along w/ file folder binder end caps to stabilize it.
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #8 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidAliver View Post
Yeah, the mesh I'm looking at is made specifically for 10 gallon tanks, so I would hope that it would be safe. Would it be a good idea to give both boys plenty of hiding places too?
I am about to split my 10 gallon once it is done cycling. Where did you find yours?
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #9 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster11 View Post
I am about to split my 10 gallon once it is done cycling. Where did you find yours?
Mine was at my LFS. But, there are plenty of good suggestions of other things you could use for mesh if you can't find one specifically made for fish :D
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #10 
jeaninel

Here's my split 10 gallon just to give you some ideas. Store bought divider from Petsmart, one 50 watt heater and an Elite mini filter on each side set to low. Lots of plants (fake) and a clay pot on one side, bridge on the other for them to chill out in. I also placed tall silk plants in front of the divider to provide them each some privacy from each other.
Attached Images

jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote