Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #1 
Aroe

How to grow Brine Shrimp for Fry? +Any other Breeding Tips!

Okay so here's the dilema: I know someone who attempted to breed 2 crowntail bettas, but did it wrong. The male ended up with torn fins pretty badly. He keeps trying to court her though. I have been given the fish and was told to breed them. I'll have everything I need at my disposal BUT how to I grow the brine shrimp for the fry? How do I get them out, and how do I feed them? Any other breeding tips and help would be VERY appreciated! I need the answer fairly soon, of they'll be trashed by the owner!
Aroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #2 
babystarz

Easiest way is to buy a hatchery kit to go in the brine shrimp tank. I use this: http://www.tomaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=32&p=82

You will also need to buy brine shrimp eggs with at least a 90% hatch rate. They're readily available on eBay and aquabid.

You should also get a micro worm culture; I think bbs are just a tiny bit too big for the first week or so. And it's important to give fry variety in their diets.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #3 
efg321

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Easiest way is to buy a hatchery kit to go in the brine shrimp tank. I use this: http://www.tomaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=32&p=82

You will also need to buy brine shrimp eggs with at least a 90% hatch rate. They're readily available on eBay and aquabid.

You should also get a micro worm culture; I think bbs are just a tiny bit too big for the first week or so. And it's important to give fry variety in their diets.
2 great pieces of info.... Before I used a micro worm culture my success rate was iffy for that 1st week. I have much larger spawns now. To think I was losing so many in that 1st week kind of sad.

and 90% brine shrimp eggs a must to go through hatching and only to get dismal results is a pain!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #4 
Aroe

Thank you very much! Helped a lot! (:
Aroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #5 
flyingpony22

About how many grams of brine shrimp eggs would you need to purchase for an average sized spawn?
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpony22 View Post
About how many grams of brine shrimp eggs would you need to purchase for an average sized spawn?
Not a whole lot, 10 grams would probably be more than enough. I like to buy mine in bulk pre-mixed with salt (this is the guy I buy from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brine-Shrimp...item3cc023b78a) and I keep the container in the fridge. I've had the same container since October and the hatch rate is still very high. The eggs keep pretty well, but they are stimulated by heat and light so it's important to keep them stored in a dark, cool place.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote