Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 
SigsMom

New Fish....what next?

Hi All! Let me start by saying I am a novice Betta owner.I had my first Betta for about 6 months and lost him just last week to what I believe was Dropsy. I was in Pet Supermarket today and caught sight of a little red Betta that was floating on one side. It's container just said "common" so I don't even know if its a male or female.

I really wasn't prepared for a new fish, but didn't have the heart to leave it there like that. I knew no one would buy it.....some of the people browsing were even commenting on how pathetic it looked.

So long story short...I brought it home. I have it in a small 1 gallon tank with nothing else in it. Since I'm totally unfamiliar with it's behavior, the only thing I really know about it is that obviously floating on one side is abnormal. It seems a bit nervous...darting around when I come near. I tried to feed it and it wouldn't eat, but could just be because of the new surroundings.

I added water conditioner and Epsom Salts because I assumed it was SBD. Is there anything else I should be doing?

How often should I do water changes and add new salt if it SBD?

Thanks!!!
SigsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

I know its a new setup, but can you fill this out :
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also do you think you can post a pic?
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
callistra

How did you acclimate him to the bowl?

How much epsom salts did you add? Does it say 100% magnesium sulfate on the ingredients label? Nothing else..

What temperature is the bowl? What temperature is your house? Do you always leave it the same temp?

He needs some oversized soft silk plant(s) and a little cave of sorts to hide in.. something with no small holes he could get stuck in.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I would add some tall silk plants in there so he or she has somewhere to rest. It does sound like SBD... What kind of food do you have? It'd be great if you can get your Betta to eat because floating can be caused by internal parasites and you won't be able to see the unless (s)he poops. This could also be caused by a bacterial infection.

I'm so glad you got back into Betta keeping and have chosen to give this little one a good home.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #5 
SigsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
How did you acclimate him to the bowl?

How much epsom salts did you add? Does it say 100% magnesium sulfate on the ingredients label? Nothing else..

What temperature is the bowl? What temperature is your house? Do you always leave it the same temp?

He needs some oversized soft silk plant(s) and a little cave of sorts to hide in.. something with no small holes he could get stuck in.

Callistra....I'm afraid I didn't acclimate her well. I wanted to get her out of that little container as soon as possible, so i just dropped her into the tank.

I did use 100% Epsom Salts....about 1/2 a tsp since the temporary tank is only 1/2 a gallon.

I don't know the temp of the temp tank. The house is at 76 and thats pretty consistent.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #6 
SigsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I would add some tall silk plants in there so he or she has somewhere to rest. It does sound like SBD... What kind of food do you have? It'd be great if you can get your Betta to eat because floating can be caused by internal parasites and you won't be able to see the unless (s)he poops. This could also be caused by a bacterial infection.

I'm so glad you got back into Betta keeping and have chosen to give this little one a good home.

Thanks Ayala....I'll pick up some plants tomorrow. The food I have is Aqueon Betta Food. I'll try and see if I can get her to eat again tomorrow and look for signs that she has pooped.

Should I wait a few days before doing a water change and adding new salts or can I continue to add salt to the existing water?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please fill out this form, just copy and paste and wright your answers after the questions.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

If you didnt change the water, don't add more salt. I need info from the form to help you more. And pics of both the fish and set up would help.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #8 
eatmice2010

Thank you- MattsBettas :)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #9 
callistra

The salt never breaks down or evaporates. You only need to readd along with water changes, then you only need to add as much salt as water you change.

I would not do any changes for the next couple of days... let him/her get used to the new water.. the lack of acclimation shocked him and hopefully he'll recover in a couple days. Generally speaking a half gallon is not large enough for any fish.

2 gallons is minimum to keep bettas in, so your half gallon should be alternating 50% and 100% every other day, if not 100% daily.

You also can't really heat that safely, however, the bowl temp will be several degrees below room temp, so you need a heater. If you get the 2g you can get a good 25w adjustable heater like a marineland visitherm, or jager. Any heater you get must be used with an aquarium thermometer that stays in the tank. You should give any new heater a test run in similar size container and use the thermometer to monitor the temperature over 24 hours to make sure it will hold an constant (no changes) between 78-80F. After you know it's working you can acclimate your fish to warmer water no more than one degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

Look for a good quality pellet whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. New Life Spectrum Betta has garlic in it and may entice your fish to eat. Your betta should get two small meals a day with one fast day a week - how many you feed depends largely upon the size of the pellet, but also the size of your fish.

This is how you can do water changes without shocking:

Quote:
In the 50% I would suck through the gravel with a turkey baster to remove poop and half the water. I would refill it with same temp water (use tank thermometer to match running tap water) that already had conditioner added to it. I use 1 gallon water jugs like you can buy at the grocery store - rinse thoroughly before using with hot water but not soap or chems).

For the 100% he'll need to be removed. I would cup in an opaque plastic solo type cup and wrap a towel for heat. Thoroughly rinse the tank, gravel and decor but don't use soap or chems. Refill with same temp water, add conditioner, stir it up a bit then float him in the bowl an hour while slowly adding a couple tablespoons of new water to his cup every 10 minutes. Finally release, keeping as much of the old water in the cup as possible. He shouldn't show any signs of shock this way.

Last edited by callistra; 01-23-2013 at 10:44 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote