Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #11 
shawnee

cant belive u took the time to type this 0.o
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #12 
efg321

Great Info.....should be required reading!
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good job, Waterdog.

Two things to keep in mind when considering sponge filters:

As the bubbles pop at the water surface a gas exchange takes place which adds oxygen to the water. This is important for the health of the nitrifying bacteria and stock. Betta and Gourami don't care about this.

However, this gas exchange also drives out CO2. This tends to raise the pH level--- more or less depending on water hardness. If your water is hard and your pH is already high, this is something to consider.

Sponge filters are not calculated to enhance the beauty of your aquarium.

And two tips:

Wrap the often-noisy airpump in a towel, then hang it on the wall. This is as quiet as I could get mine.

If your pump is below the surface level of your tank, a one-way check valve will prevent back-siphoning if your power goes out.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #14 
Laki

I don't know, my air pump is perfectly quiet. It makes less noise than my laptop cooling fan while being perched on top of my betta tank (the air tube is stretched across my desk to the other tank).
Interesting point you made about the gas exchange Hallyx!! I know the disruption at the surface of the water caused my old VT to nip his fins bc he couldn't bubbles.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #15 
waterdog

Thank you all for your comments and sticky votes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Interesting point you made about the gas exchange Hallyx!! I know the disruption at the surface of the water caused my old VT to nip his fins bc he couldn't bubbles.
I have sponge filters in 3 betta tanks, a 2.5, a 5, and 2 in my 10 gallon and I have had no problems with either my fish or plant growth. As long as plants get the right light and regular water changes to replinish minerals in the water, they usually do fine. My 75 turns over water at the rate of 10 times per hour and it's like a jungle in there that I have to constantly trim back.

This is a picture of one of the two homemade sponge filters in my 10 gallon. I put two as I plan on dividing the tank soon.
Attached Images

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #16 
Laki

They're nice!! (I was referring to the bubbles coming up out of those pvc tubes) at least in my old 1g tank it upset my fish. But in hindsight, the tank was too small and not enough plant cover.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #17 
Option

I know most breeder tanks do not use filtration of any sorts when the male betta is making its bubblenest but does anyone here actually use these in their breeding tanks? It's perfect for not sucking up the eggs nor fry. But do you find that the bubbles it creates is too turbulent for the bubblenest that the male bettas need?
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #18 
OrangeAugust

Sticky, please!!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #19 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
They're nice!! (I was referring to the bubbles coming up out of those pvc tubes) at least in my old 1g tank it upset my fish. But in hindsight, the tank was too small and not enough plant cover.
I agree that a 1 gal might be too small for any filtration. The smallest tank I have is 2.5 and no problems to report!

This is it's owner.....
Attached Images

Last edited by waterdog; 01-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #20 
waterdog

Thank you all for the compliments and sticky votes!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I know most breeder tanks do not use filtration of any sorts when the male betta is making its bubblenest but does anyone here actually use these in their breeding tanks? It's perfect for not sucking up the eggs nor fry. But do you find that the bubbles it creates is too turbulent for the bubblenest that the male bettas need?
I am not a breeder and have no intentions of being one for awhile. I'm sure someone here that does breed can answer better than I can. I would think you could just shut off the air supply during spawning, then reopen after the hatch, but that is just a guess.

Last edited by waterdog; 01-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Tags
filters, sponge, sponge filter