Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #11 
bettaisbetter

Actually, garlic is very good in terms of health for fish. It boosts their immune response and it tastes great to them. Fish don't really get gas, lol. Omega is actually a tad bit worse than NLS. It has this cheap filler called "wheat gluten" that boosts its protein content. Oh, and it's best to fast your betta one day a week to clear its digestive tract. It will also prevent blockage. (fast means not feed) They're fish, so they have a different metabolism pattern. :)
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #12 
heavenlolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
Actually, garlic is very good in terms of health for fish. It boosts their immune response and it tastes great to them. Fish don't really get gas, lol. Omega is actually a tad bit worse than NLS. It has this cheap filler called "wheat gluten" that boosts its protein content. Oh, and it's best to fast your betta one day a week to clear its digestive tract. It will also prevent blockage. (fast means not feed) They're fish, so they have a different metabolism pattern. :)
Is that before switching them to a new food?
And I believe I will because I think he is a tiny bit bloated.
heavenlolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #13 
heavenlolwut

I'm stuck between two filters. I'm thinking either this or this.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-AHY00322...pr_product_top < I'll be ordering from Amazon Prime if I do and it sounds like it'll come directly from the makers. Some of the reviews are a little sketchy but at the same time there are a lot of positive ones.
OR This one.
http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-Aq...25watt+heaters << Less reviews but they are better.
I wish this wasn't so stressful XD
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #14 
bettaisbetter

Do you mean fasting? Yes, that's a technique for them to start eating other foods they don't want eat. If he looks bloated, then go for it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #15 
bettaisbetter

It's up to you. I have 2 Hydors and they both work well. ^.^ As I said, up to you.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #16 
heavenlolwut

I think I'm going to go with the hydor because if it's a little cheaper and if worse comes to worse I'll go for the other because I'm a poor college kid. XD
And if it gives me any problems I'll return it (Yay Amazon Prime!)

And thank you all for your advice <3 I'm hoping to have a super happy fish soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #17 
bettaisbetter

Oh, alright. You're welcome, and happy betta-keeping!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #18 
NorthernLights

heater for small tank

My Hydor Theo 25 watt works great in my 3 gallon and worked just great in my 1 gallon. You may have to fiddle with the temp a bit (IIRC, I put mine on 77 or so in the 1 gallon and that kept the tank at 80).
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #19 
Tikibirds

I have an assortment of heaters that I have gotten off ebay and for the smaller tanks - I like the Hagen elite submersiable heaters. Its 6 inches tall so it can fit into a bowl or kritter keeper. For some reason, sites list it as preset but its not. It is adjustable. There are 2 kinds though. One hangs on the back of the tank and another one is fully submersiable in water. They may of stopped ,aing them as I can not find the submersiable one on Amazon, which is where I got mine from
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote