Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
It takes a 5 gallon tank a loooooong time to heat up to the temp you set your heater at- like at least a few hours. So I don't think that could have shocked him.
I disagree on this. Temp fluctiations of 6 degrees are stressful even if it takes a few hours. Personally, I wouldn't raise it more than 1 degree per hour, or more than 3-4 degrees in 24 hours. How exactly did you acclimate him to the new tank?

It is possible that he was sick in the store when you bought him, but I'm thinking this was some kind of shock. If you got him from a nearby store, their tap water parameters are likely close to yours, but since you aren't using tap water, there could have been a major change in pH. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a mixture of temp and parameter fluctuations, as clamped fins are often caused by stress from shock.

I would also give him plenty of time to warm up to the new tank and make sure it is decorated well enough. Maybe keep his tank dark or very dim and give him space and time. Hopefully, if it is shock, he will start to improve with time, and no negative side effects come from the stress... He was also likely very stressed in his cup when he was purchased.

When I purchase a new fish, the cups are generally pretty dirty and I want to get them out of the old water as soon as possible, but most of the time, not acclimating slow enough is worse than them having to spend a little extra time in the cups. When I got my male CT he went on a 2 hour drive home and I left him in his cup undisturbed for about 2 hours after I got him home because he was still shaken up from the car ride.. I also avoided putting him in direct lighting, and after those couple hours he calmed down quite a bit and THEN I started slowly acclimating him.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #12 
kngiraffe

He was happy and chipper active normal and full in his cup.

I allowed him to float for 30 minutes and added water from my tank into the cup and let him float some more before dumping him in.

The water was 72-74 degrees and it took from 10-2am for it to be anywhere close to 78 degrees so it wasn't a conplete and utter shock. I put him in a 5gallon after a 2 gallon. And then here it got into single digits so my dad moved his tank Sunday to my desk by the heater and he was fine Monday Tuesday except last night when I came home around 10 and he was all clamped. But up until last night his water only was 74 degrees and wouldn't get warmer.

I got a moss ball for him so many he will cheer up.
kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

So just last night his temp went from 74-80 and that is when you noticed the change? It's very likely shock, then. They usually recover quickly from this. If you make the tank a little darker and give him some space, he will likely return to normal. And yes, they do seem to like live plants but I think time will be the best remedy in this situation (along with clean water). Just make sure that his temp stays stable at whatever it is right now.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #14 
kngiraffe

Well he's on the verge of dying. I came home with a moss ball for him and he has no color and it just fighting and trying to hang out to dear life

Last edited by kngiraffe; 01-24-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #15 
kngiraffe

Hes 99.9% dead 0.01% alive
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

It sounds like he had a sickness in the store... I don't think just shock would cause that. With the information you have provided I can't make any other suggestions, but I'm sure Callistra might be able to if she's online...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #17 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
So just last night his temp went from 74-80 and that is when you noticed the change? It's very likely shock, then. They usually recover quickly from this. If you make the tank a little darker and give him some space, he will likely return to normal. And yes, they do seem to like live plants but I think time will be the best remedy in this situation (along with clean water). Just make sure that his temp stays stable at whatever it is right now.
I noticed the change when I first got home yesterday around 10. I have classes everyday and MWF I normally work 4 or 5 to 930. But the Monday-Wednesday the water has been like 72-74 degrees and that's due to the coldness of the weather, I don't think my heater was strong enough for the single digits here.

But when I came home last night with a new heater that has the adjustable and that's when I saw that his fins were all clamped.

he didn't even get to see or play with his new moss ball i got him ):