Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #11 
Desensitizer

Anacharis, prefilter sponge, and cutup prefilter sponge + solo cup diffuuser have finally made it tolerable.
I don't run the filter all day, because it still kinda annoys him and I think he chases his reflection a bit more when it is on. It's been fairly decent though. Should I switch to all day filter?
His color is great. He made a bubble nest today and defended it, which made me very happy. We had some ghost shrimp issues with fin nipping, but they were quickly removed. I added cherry red shrimp today, and hes been chasing them around in a fairly harmless manner. In my heavily planted tank he now has a great game of hide and seek when he so desires and hopefully the shrimp keep the tank clean. They best not nip his fins but I can't imagine they would. I'll update tomorrow.
His eye is completely clear, but one of them seems a little swollen still. Anything I can do?
I have kept the epsom salts at approximately 1tsp/gallon, and the kanaplex approximately 2 spoons for 10 gallons every 2 days. I'm starting to worry about long term effects on his liver. Should I cease the kanaplex for a while, and up the epsom salts?
Its gotten colder in my area so I ordered a nicer heater.
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #12 
callistra

How long has he been on Kanaplex?

How often are you doing water changes now? Since you've opted not to filter it (on and off for periods) it needs 50% and 100% alternating weekly.

Can you get some fresh photos of any part of him you are still concerned with? His activity level seems very healthy..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #13 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
How long has he been on Kanaplex?

How often are you doing water changes now? Since you've opted not to filter it (on and off for periods) it needs 50% and 100% alternating weekly.

Can you get some fresh photos of any part of him you are still concerned with? His activity level seems very healthy..
He's been on Kanaplex for almost a month. He seems healthy besides clamped fins, chasing his reflection now that the lighting is stronger (upgraded yesterday) but not continually, and one of his eyes is still a little swollen although is mostly normal. Just a single bump. I believe the white under his chin is just coloration. His coloration is the strongest I have ever seen, its a little stronger saturation and the red and black spots are present which were never present. The filter is now on about 12 of the 24 hours of the day, although it is so blocked by anacharis I am not sure how effective it is. I will likely be upgrading the filter soon, along with the lighting, in pursuit of my aquascaping desires, so I will likely have one I can run 24/7 that does not disrupt the admiral. He takes some underwater gulps, has caught some but not all of the red cherry shrimp, and seems good. I feel like the eye must be bruised. I dose seachem flourish daily (5ml when 100% change, 1ml other days). He gets 50 to 100% changes at least once a week, sometimes more, depends on how I feel the water is. I will get a fresh photo tomorrow when I am done forum posting imma turn the lights off so he can sleep and the shrimp can leave their stronghold safely. I may try leaving the filter on and see what happens.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #14 
callistra

Kanaplex should not be used more than 2 weeks.. this needs to be discontinued now.

The epsom salts can continue though.. is he still on epsom salts?

White under his chin and clamped are both signs of stress. At this point it may just be from being on kanaplex too long..

Don't keep dosing flourish.. this may also be causing problems. you're adding various elements and things to the water and you can over do it. The instructions say only dose once per week.. Also 5ml treats 60 gallons.. so you only need .8ml per week on your 10g..Find a little dropper/syringe of some kind that can measure it properly and then only use the right amount.. you are adding HUGE amounts of this stuff so you are lucky you are only dealing with clamped fins
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #15 
Desensitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Kanaplex should not be used more than 2 weeks.. this needs to be discontinued now.

The epsom salts can continue though.. is he still on epsom salts?

White under his chin and clamped are both signs of stress. At this point it may just be from being on kanaplex too long..

Don't keep dosing flourish.. this may also be causing problems. you're adding various elements and things to the water and you can over do it. The instructions say only dose once per week.. Also 5ml treats 60 gallons.. so you only need .8ml per week on your 10g..Find a little dropper/syringe of some kind that can measure it properly and then only use the right amount.. you are adding HUGE amounts of this stuff so you are lucky you are only dealing with clamped fins
I did a big water change after adjusting the filter and a lot of debris was let out. At the moment it is no epsom salt or kanaplex. I will cut back on the flourish a lot. I am upgrading the substrate to accomodate more plants/keep the ones I have in rooted, and I'm definitely going to go ecocomplete to insure that things get more stable faster and there arent as many moving plants requiring me to re-root or dying plants changing water conditions/requiring changes. I've been forgetting about the happiness of the betta, although he seems to be happy to me. I'll wait a lot longer to alter the shrimp inhabitants than planned.
I'm changing my filter to a Eheim 2213, and my lighting to LED, plus adding more plants.
Should I add epsom salt or not?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #16 
callistra

I would continue the epsom salt so long as his eye is swollen. It won't hurt and it is also fertilizing your plants.