Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #11 
daylily

I found New Life Spectrum Betta pellets on Amazon.com

The betta is in a 5 gallon tank with one snail, and I have a larger tank with neon tetras, cherry barbs, Endlers and pygmy Cory and I also got NLS Small Fish Formula from them. Amazon has lots of stuff for fish.

I'd say the pellets I have are about the size of a poppy seed - like you find on bagels.

I alternate between NLS, Hikari and Omega One pellets. The NLS and Hikari are half the size of the Omega one pellets. I also give thawed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms a couple times a week.

My betta was really thin when I got him, and young. I've had him 3 months now, and he has really grown. He's still looks thin compared to the photos of bettas I see on AquaBid. I feed 4-5 around 8 am and 8 pm, and a couple in the middle of the day. The Omega pellets are bigger, so only 2 or 3 of them at a time. I'm sure people would say I am over feeding, but this guy is very active in a 5 gallon planted tank, and has not had any problems at all. Once he finishes growing and filling out, I will cut him back a bit. Probably to 2 pellets 3 times a day. I hear such good things about the New Life Spectrum that I will probably feed just those pellets in the future when I use up the other 2 brands. Took me a while to find the NLS pellets, didn't have them locally that I could find.

But I am pretty new at keeping fish (well had them back when I was a kid - 40 years ago) .... so keep that in mind...
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #12 
Julio1983

Hmmm I never thought they might be for betta fry!
Here's a pic of them
Attached Images

Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #13 
Homer16

If they were for betta dry the bottle would of said so. My cousins feed that brand and they feed 4-5 pellets twice a day. I would start with that
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #14 
Julio1983

Thanks homer16 :)
Thank god for your cousins they have helped me a lot so far :)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #15 
MSG

Those are not pellets, they are "granules" like what the bottle says.

That makes it harder to determine how many to feed because the smaller particles will usually get ignored by your betta unless they're REALLY hungry.

Hope you have some snails or another living critter in your tank to clean up the left over bits.

Watch the belly, if it's too big & ROUND every 2-3 days, you're feeding too much & reduce accordingly.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #16 
Julio1983

Hmmm ok his belly looks fine at the moment and he gobbles them up quite quickly...thanks everyone :) :)