Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #1 
Trackpadtactics

A have a few questions about rescaping.

Alright so i have had my tank for a while now and at the time i was working on it i didn't have much money seeing as the tank was the most of what i had. At this point this is what i have.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4347574/Fsh...123_180535.jpg

I want to change out the gravel for some Fluval stratum and sand on top. The problem is i don't know how to go about doing this. Do i take all the animals out, place them and the plants in something else and redo it then re add the water and plants and so on? Is there a way to do?

Also i am amazed at all the other tanks. I want to add a rock or two. can i just add in any rock? What do i have to do to make it useful for my tank?

Also what other plants can i add in? Im mostly stuck with the background... the background i have now i don't like it... also what "grass" kind of plants are there?

My lighting right now is the 12 watt LED light you get with the Aqueon evolve 4 tank.
Trackpadtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 
Juicebox

you can collect rocks from anywhere, you must boil them in a bucket or something, just put them in the container and dump boiling water on top of them and let it sit for a couple hours,i do this two times to be safe.. the you get some vinegar,just regular vinegar and you pour a drop on each rock, if the vinegar bubbles on the surface of the rock then the rock is no good and you throw it away. if there is no bubbles then the rock is good,so u boil it quickly one more time to get the vinegar off and u put it into your tank..

for changing out your gravel,you need another container to put your plants and fish in, a 5 gal bucket works good or some big tuppaware container or anything that will hold about 3 - 5 gallons of water, you take your heater and heat the water,u put some water conditioner in then u add your plants and your fish to the container..

next u drain your tank,and scoop all the gravel out. keep the gravel in a bag coz you might want it in future tanks.. then u give alittle scrub with a toothbrush or something to the bottom of the tank and the sides,use some tank water for this. then add your new substrate.. theres thread about how to add new substrate so i wont go into that..

for the led it might be low light,so id say stick with marimo moss balls,some java moss,some java ferns,anubias,some hornworth,some anacharis.im sure theres a few more i cant think of now..

when you put your new substrate in,your new plants and fill it up with new water and add some conditoner you should be then able to add your livestock back in that same day.. make sure if u have a filter u float the filter and the filter cartridges in your container with your old tank water and fish while u redo your tank,if the filter dries out youll lose all ur good bacteria in it and start ur cycle all over again
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #3 
Trackpadtactics

Thanks i finished it last night so i hope it will turn out good. I made a thread about it with pics. Its still cloudy but that is to be expected.
Trackpadtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #4 
Juicebox

sweet,ill go check it out, i just did a rescape last night too,took me 4 hours!! nightmare
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote