Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #21 
USNavyWife

I don't know if it was mentioned, but another good thing to have on hand is a water chemistry set. The one I have is a little pricey, it was like 30-35.00 but it tests just about everything except kH & gH. You could easily get just a pH and an ammonia test kit to keep around to make sure things are in check. I find it's always good to know what your pH is coming out of your faucet and to make sure when you are moving fish and doing any changes that nothing is causing any pH issues. Sometimes new toys and plants can cause changes.

I don't know how many times my test kit has saved my butt. I obviously checked the pH every time was working with my larger tanks and tested for ammonia and nitrates/nitrites. I've only got 1 guy now, but it still came in handy when I was taking him from this tiny tank his owners had him in to a 2.5 gallon. There was obviously a discrepancy between the tanks, so I just slowly acclimated his small tank to the new tank so when he got put in, he wasn't stressed out :)

Just a suggestion and something to perhaps purchase in the future, especially if you expand your tanks. It's an addiction xD
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #22 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
flakes= omega one
pellets = tetra betta
Yes, I've been doing 50% water change and make sure it's the correct temp.
Ahh, I see now....Tetra betta is really a horrible pellet brand. Its basically mostly all fillers like wheat and soy, which are difficult for a carnivorous betta to digest and really aren't all that tasty. Tetra betta has been refused by the fish of probably at least half of the keepers who have fed this that I've read about, even if your betta is the tiniest bit picky they're not going to take to it....and since you've already spoiled them on bloodworms, you're not going to get them to eat this brand probably.
I would very highly suggest heading over to your local Petco/ordering online some New Life Spectrum Betta/Small fish formula pellets, cease feeding of all other foods, and get them on that as a staple diet(as I described in one of my previous posts). Never had a betta who refused NLS(its nice and small, has a few good meats and meat meals up nearer the top then most brands including the first two, and includes garlic to promote appetite and has some anti parasitic properties), and have only ever heard of a couple rare cases where they did.

Once they are on a good pellet, you can certainly incorporate the flakes/frozen/freeze-dried foods back into their diet for variety(which is always good), but a good pellet as a staple is important to keep their diet well rounded.

Also, be careful with the Omgea flakes...I've read a lot of things about bones being found in them, which can be dangerous. Lately I've also been reading a LOT about the somewhat iffy ingredients in Omega products(I'm afraid I don't have any links right in front of me, but you can do a search of the forum/google and find a few things if you're curious), so I'd be cautious of them over all. Not saying you should just throw it all out or anything, but it never hurts to be aware.

Okay, so....a little confused. 50%s and no 100%s? Are you trying to cycle?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #23 
Summerwind

Next time I am at petco I will get the NLS pellets for sure. As far as your question on trying to cycle...no. I do have the filter running, it's not strong at all and the fish don't seem to mind it. It sure isn't bothering their appetite lately! haven't used the bloodworms for a while now either.
Summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #24 
DragonFish

If you aren't trying to go for a cycle, then its really best to remove the filter and you do need to preform at least one full 100% water change during the week(on top of 1-2 50%s) in order to remove all of the toxic ammonia that will buid up.
Here, this might explain things in a little more detail....
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595
And just as a little added information for information's sake....if you would like, here are a couple of links that describe cycling.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98795

Current with the filter is not the issue so much as the possibility that you may start to cycle(which will happen if you have a filter, every tank with some kind of filtration will attempt to cycle)between water changes that will cause ammonia to spike a little higher, which can of course be dangerous......which is why I had previously suggested the removal of the filter anyway, on top of it just being unnecessary and whatnot. ;)

Anyway, good luck! So long as you stick to it and you offer them nothing at all but the NLS pellets, I'm positive you'll have success. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #25 
BETTACHKALOVE

+1
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

That HM is BEAUTIFUL!! I'm jealous :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #27 
lillyandquigly

Beautiful bettas! But one thing, your crowntail is not a dragonscale, looks more like a blue wash to me
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #28 
Summerwind

The picture is not a good one of the crown tail. All I can say is that is what he was labeled as when I got him.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #29 
lillyandquigly

Dragonscales have much thicker scales, you can tell from the picture that he's definitely not a dragon, very pretty nonetheless
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #30 
Summerwind

Name:  IMG_6480.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  40.4 KBOk these pics are about the best I could get. He's a bit more blue than green as shown. He was sold as a dragon scale so what does everyone think, yes or no?
Attached Images