Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 
OneEyedWilly

Question betta fish, not eating, possibly blind in one eye

I was at walmart yesterday picking up some things for my boyfriend, when I saw him. He was the only betta fish on the shelf, his water was green with what looked like mold in growing on the surface, I thought he was dead but as I got closer he started to move...barely. I just couldn't walk away, I grimaced, I knew if I bought him they would just order more fish and treat them the same. I inspected him further he had missing scales, fin rot, and one eye was cloudy with what I assumed to be a blind eye. I bought him, knowing he might not make it to the next day (he's made it through two). He is in a temporary 1 gallon tub with treated water. He seems to be doing good, he is much more active now checking out his fake plants and swimming around the tub. (I had my boyfriend drill holes in the top of the lid so he can breathe).

I want to know, what could cause the missing scales on his body?
He will not eat, is there a way to stimulate his appetite? Ive only tried the pellets I bought, should I just try different food?

He twitches a lot.. even though he is more active now... he twitches..

Okay welll I am off to get him a proper set up please let me know what is the best course of action for him, I have already grown so fond of him and I want to seem him get better and live a full happy life.

Also... We named him one eyed Willy.
OneEyedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #2 
bettaisbetter

That's horrible, but if he's more active then he should get better in time.
If he's twitching there must be a parasite, parasites also can cause scale loss like they're irritating him. Any visible external problems? Heated?

Do an aquarium salt treatment with 2-3 teaspoons per gallon. Do daily 100% changes for 10 days and premix the salt before adding the treated water in. Carefully add the treated water over an hour or so to prevent shock.

Not eating is normal for sick and new fish. Fast him for 2-3 days or so and try to feed him. If he doesn't eat it, take the food out. Repeat until he eats. Or another procedure is when you get some garlic juice and coat the pellet with it and feed. The juice enhances the smell and taste of the pellet to convince the fish to eat. Good brands are New Life Spectrum and Golden Pearls. Omega One is okay. These brands don't have much fillers and their protein are actually based on whole fish. Brands like Aqueon, Wardley's, and Tetra are very bad. They're full of fillers like kelp meal, wheat gluten, etc. Make sure the 1st 3 ingredients are whole fish.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 
OneEyedWilly

He is not heated, yet, I will be off to get him a heater a real tank and filter the whole works in the next couple hours.

The only extrenal problems I can really see are where the scales are "Missing" the skin is white, but some patches looks grey and fuzzy, even around his gill.
He looks like a corpse.
though his fin rot is minimal.
the cloudy eye looks to be clearing up a little bit just from being in clean water.
I think I will go get him from frozen blood worms or krill and see if he will eat that after fasting him for 2 days.
Thanks for the help I will report back on his status in the next couple days.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 
OneEyedWilly

He is not heated, yet, I will be off to get him a heater a real tank and filter the whole works in the next couple hours.

The only external problems I can really see are where the scales are "Missing" the skin is white, but some patches looks grey and fuzzy, even around his gill.
He looks like a corpse.
though his fin rot is minimal. he fins look pretty good besides the breaking and shredded look at the ends
the cloudy eye looks to be clearing up a little bit just from being in clean water.
I think I will go get him from frozen blood worms or krill and see if he will eat that after fasting him for 2 days.
Thanks for the help I will report back on his status in the next couple days.

Also I am putting him in room temperature water and our house is about 75 degrees. I'm not putting him in cold tap water
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #5 
bettaisbetter

Oh, alright. Betta flesh is actually white unlike salmon. Keep up the water changes to prevent any further infections. He must be having some scale rot from the store, are there any black marks? These fish are tropical fish, they'll be very weak and stressed in coldness.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
Oh, alright. Betta flesh is actually white unlike salmon. Keep up the water changes to prevent any further infections. He must be having some scale rot from the store, are there any black marks? These fish are tropical fish, they'll be very weak and stressed in coldness.
I got him a 5 gallon tank, with heater small water filter, a thermometer, I conditioned the water, and let him acclimate in a floating cup for a couple hours. he seems to be even more active though I am worried about the current from the filter might be pushing him around too much.
I got a lighting system and now I can see how bad he really is. I can see all the little indents in his white flesh where his scales used to be, its so sad. he isn't twitching anymore so maybe he was just twitching from the cold water.

water temperature is currently 75 degrees I also bought API aquarium salt, It was the only kind my pet store had. I was thinking I would just introduce it little by little in a water change. I don't want to shock him with salt water.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #7 
bettaisbetter

His setup sounds good. It's also great he has stopped twitching. Aquarium salt is and only for freshwater fish. It's not really saltwater, it's evaporated saltwater. It's scientifically sodium chloride, I think. Marine salt is a whole other level compared to aquarium salt. And API is what I have. It's a good brand to buy meds from.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #8 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
His setup sounds good. .
I got a picture of him so you can see what I am talking about..

it doesnt really show that much detail or the true clouded color in his eye

http://i.imgur.com/y2MVgHX.jpg
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #9 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
I got a picture of him so you can see what I am talking about..

it doesnt really show that much detail or the true clouded color in his eye

http://i.imgur.com/y2MVgHX.jpg

I hope somebody looks at his picture
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #10 
registereduser

Looks like he might have fungus? Ich? Maybe try some meds for that?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta not eating, walmart rescue