Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #11 
callistra

What you're doing is fine.

I think black poop is infection. I've only seen it one other time and eventually that black turned into white mucasy stuff that was definitely infection.

Well in this case I would normally suggest treating with medicated pellets.. but since he won't eat you'll have to treat the water. Honestly, I suspect internal parasites but I don't really have any experience treating water for internal parasites. Another user here reported they used Jungle Parasite Clear successfully for this, but this is really really hard on the kidneys so proceed with caution. Otherwise you could try antibiotics which go internal like Kanaplex or Maracyn plus and hope it's the secondary infection that's causing him to not want to eat.

Just be aware that in his delicate condition both treating and not treating is risky.. so you'll have to use your best feeling but black poop may mean there is something to be treated and it may not just be the ornament.

Forgot about the magnet trick.. let us know..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #12 
celine18

thank you for all your help. friday night Sam looked at me, said goodbye, and i found him the next morning. i took him home and burried him in the yard next to my hamster with his grandparents watching over.

i do think that the spongebob house played a big part in this, and i'll be talking to my chem teacher to see if i can test the water for metals and toxins, and i will definitely check the house itself and post on here and the specific thread with what i find.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #13 
callistra

I'm so sorry :( That spongebob ornament is killing a lot of fish.. the info is on its way to penn plax corporate. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

My boy is still holding on but he doesn't look good.. The decoration was in there for two months before I found the rust.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I can't believe these companies get away with selling this crud as "safe for aquariums" when they contain metal!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote