Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #16331 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
I hear you. I use to drink soda everyday (a bunch of it) and gained weight. I cut out pop except for Diet Rite. There is NOTHING in that. Plus, I'm drinking a lot of water and eating less. I've dropped 4 pounds.
I am happy to hear that you have lost weight. It seems like you are on the right track with drinking more water and eating less. I would really like to enlighten you with some information on artificial sweeteners. Something that may help you achieve healthier weight loss is if you cut out artificial sweeteners.

The human body treats artificial sweeteners pretty much the same way it treats regular, processed sugar. The only exception is that the body doesn't receive the calories from the artificial sweeteners and may try to compensate or overcompensate for the missing calories.

Sweets cause cravings for sweets. Certain artificial sweeteners are so much sweeter than actual sugar and may increase cravings for sweets. Another thing that concerns me are the studies showing that the use of artificial sweeteners may lead to metabolic syndrome.

I understand that it is difficult to cut out sodas and that a diet soda may be a temporary fix, but it may be wiser to test out healthier option. One example is water infused with natural fruit or mint. Another good example would be tea that is sweetened with a low glycemic index sweetener such as honey or agave nectar.

Sorry for the lecture. You can flame me if you wish. I just wanted to throw out some options that may be healthier and may produce more desirable weight loss. If you like I can pm you some academic links.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #16332 
BettaHeart

rosso: I am not entirely sure if you will take me seriously on this lol but one option would be to get a small amethyst to place under your pillow, i use one for each of my kids and it has helped them to have a great sound sleep since my oldest was a newborn 12 yrs ago haha...
each of them have their own crystal they picked for themselves, which is of great importance as the crystal that you choose gives you a good tingly feeling meaning it is specifically for you.

Herb-wise: Valerian root: It stinks, but it’s the most effective sleep-inducer of all herbal cures. You can find it in capsule, tea, tablet or liquid extract forms. Valerian root can also ease anxiety and muscle stiffness.

Chamomile Tea: Drink a cup before hitting the sheets. Chamomile tea can also help out with digestive problems, menstrual cramps and more.

Celery: Munch on some; it’s loaded with sedatives. there are hundreds of recipes that use celery -- try one!

Lemon balm: It can be soothing and emit a pleasant scent.

Lavender: Take a whiff of lavender while taking a warm evening bath. It relaxes the nervous system, reducing stress hormones that often keep you awake. Lavender’s scent also ups the production of relaxing alpha waves in the brain for deeper sleep. If you get migraines, lavender can help with that too.

Hops: If your sleeping problems are connected to your period, hops can be useful because it balances out fluctuating hormone levels. Stuff a sleep sachet containing the herb under your pillow.

Hope that helps
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #16333 
Rosso1011

Thanks! I am going to have to try some of those. My question is how much celery would someone have to consume for it to have any effect? I'm a little skeptical on that one.

As for the lavender, I often use pillow mists to help out at night. I have heard of lavender being infused into teas as well. I assume it's safe to consume? If so, I need to find a good tea recipe that incorporates chamomile and lavender.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #16334 
ThePearlFish

How does it make sense to close the college campuses yesterday, yet today (when there is the same amount of snow on the ground) they don't??

They are like HAHA! Suck it Saturday classes! >:/
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #16335 
RoMay

Fresh or dried lavander in yoru pillow is supposed to work. I never figured out my insombia either that is why I started working grave yard. XD

People on here make me jealous because they can eat healthy. I want a salad but that would so totally backfire in the most unplesent ways.

And I'm bored, and it's raining. I love the rain; but not when the water from the roof hits the AC one by one in a nerve grinding beat.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #16336 
RoMay

There goes my bordem, gatta clean up a mess the window is leaking. 0_o Love living in CA.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #16337 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
Fresh or dried lavander in yoru pillow is supposed to work. I never figured out my insombia either that is why I started working grave yard. XD

People on here make me jealous because they can eat healthy. I want a salad but that would so totally backfire in the most unplesent ways.

And I'm bored, and it's raining. I love the rain; but not when the water from the roof hits the AC one by one in a nerve grinding beat.
I work graveyard as well. Regardless of what shift I work, I still have problems getting to sleep.

As far as eating healthy, it is something that your body has to adjust to. It is going to be unpleasant at first if you have been eating "bad foods" for a long time.

As far as the rain issue, I love the rain as well. I used to live in apartment with a tin roof and I was such a light sleeper that if we had a downpour, the sound would wake me up. That was a major issue since once I wake up, it is next to impossible for me to get back to sleep.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #16338 
RoMay

Ug that sucks. If I can't sleep I am lucky two benadryl will make me sleepy eventually for at least an hour or two. XD

No it's not something that I can get used to. Apparently my stomach doesn't tolerate pain to well. While I maybe able to ignore it my digestive system won't. I think the only things really not to back fire on me are olives, cucumbers, and carrots. But lettuce or the likes there of is a huge nono.

I rent a sun roof so it's like that with a downpour. But that's alright at least that way I don't have to hear the neighbors kidlet yelling.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #16339 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's looking pretty likely that my mom has something called gastroparesis which is a paralyzed nerve in the stomach that causes a delayed emptying of the stomach.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #16340 
ThePearlFish

What causes that DQ? or the symptoms.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou