Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
ajlepore

Question Tank cycling question? Please help!

Hello all,

I'm new here and relatively new to fish! Last Sunday I bought a betta and cleaned out a 10 gallon tank that was given to me by a friend. I set up the tank with a heater and a filter. I did some research on the cycling process and bought a master test kit. I've tested my water every day since Sunday. I have a 0ppm ammonia reading now after having *maybe* a .25ppm reading for 2 days. I never got a nitrite reading but I did and still get a nitrate reading of 5.0ppm when I test my water. I'm wondering how I have a nitrate reading when I never saw a spike in nitrites first?

Also, I'm not sure if this information is needed but my pH is 8.4 and I performed about a 20% water change on Wednesday. I added some aquarium salt with the water change because I think the little guy I bought had/has some fin rot going on.

I do want to add some tank mates at some point but not until my tank is healthy. Any advice for starting up a new tank, why I would have a nitrate reading when I never had a nitrite spike or tips on treating fin rot would be extremely appreciated. Thank you!
ajlepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 
shellieca

Don't worry about having nitrates before nitrites, it happens. Have you tested your tap water? Mine has low nitrates so you could be getting that reading in your tank. When I did a fish IN cycle on a 10g my ammonia rarely went above .25, I had nitrates from day one, nitrites showed up in week 6 lasting for 2 weeks & the tank was finally cycled at week 8. So . . . be patient & diligent. As for the fin rot, providing him clean, temp matched & conditioned water typically is all that's needed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #3 
ajlepore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Don't worry about having nitrates before nitrites, it happens. Have you tested your tap water? Mine has low nitrates so you could be getting that reading in your tank. When I did a fish IN cycle on a 10g my ammonia rarely went above .25, I had nitrates from day one, nitrites showed up in week 6 lasting for 2 weeks & the tank was finally cycled at week 8. So . . . be patient & diligent. As for the fin rot, providing him clean, temp matched & conditioned water typically is all that's needed.
Shellica, thank you! Your reply has put my mind at ease! How often should I be doing small water changes? I thought about every 3 days?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #4 
shellieca

When I cycled my 10g my water changes averaged about every 2-3 days based on water tests so what you're doing should be good. Just keep,testing the water because it is possible you may have to multiple water changes in one day.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello there..a good thing to have is Prime water conditioner cause it will detox ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but only for 48 hours then you can do a water change and add more Prime, it sure gave me peace of mind when I did a fish in cycle with my Betta.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #6 
ajlepore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hello there..a good thing to have is Prime water conditioner cause it will detox ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but only for 48 hours then you can do a water change and add more Prime, it sure gave me peace of mind when I did a fish in cycle with my Betta.
Thanks, Perseusmom! I will have to get some. Right now, I am using a water conditioner but I know it doesn't do all that.

Tags
cycling, fin rot, nitrate