Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #1 
JimmyD575

Introducing Dash

My 8-yr-old daughter wanted a fish so I took her to the local PetSmart. She had a couple goldfish from the county fair but they died within a month. We decided on a betta and found this guy with a different color lid than the others (cost a couple more bucks than the others). He was a ghost with beat up tail fin and pretty small compared to the other colored bettas available.

I bought a 1/2 gallon tank with a lighted base but no heater. I also got a stone temple with windows, some fake leafy foliage and blue plastic crystals to accentuate his very bold blue fin tips. He seems happy in there but I'm not for sure. Somethings excite him like feeding time (he gets only dry shrimp pellets), when I spark my lighter in front of him and, this one happened today, he puffed his pectorals fins when I showed him a foto of himself!

I want to make sure that this isn't "cruel" to tease him like that. He has been with us 4 months and has easily doubled in size and his tail fin has grown back nicely. Thanks for reading, any feedback appreciated. Jimmy
Attached Images

JimmyD575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #2 
blu the betta

hes beutiful.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 
CrazyFishDude

That's a pretty uncommon color! Good find! No, It's not really "cruel" to make him flare as long as it's not very often.
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 
JimmyD575

Thanks for the comments. Are the flares always a sign of anger? Sometimes I wonder if he is playing.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD575 View Post
Thanks for the comments. Are the flares always a sign of anger? Sometimes I wonder if he is playing.
It mainly is aggression. From what I've heard, flaring is the betta trying to intimidate/compete with the other. I'm not sure exactly though, as I'm kinda new to the hobby myself (well, returning, I kept fish awhile ago but... let's just say it ended badly).
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #6 
CrazyFishDude

And about the tank, check the water temperature. If it's in the mid 70s to low 80s, then the light works. If not, then maybe get a small "bowl" heater (I've seen a couple at Petsmart). Also, I'd do a couple water changes a week. You should be good to go after that. :)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 
JimmyD575

I change his water once a week after it starts getting cloudy. I don't think the lights heat the water much because the water is always colder when I change than when I put it in. I always fill with lukewarm tap water and 5 drops of declorinator. I didn't realize he was tropical. Poor dude is probably freezing! I'm going to check out the water heater you mentioned from PetSmart. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #8 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD575 View Post
I change his water once a week after it starts getting cloudy. I don't think the lights heat the water much because the water is always colder when I change than when I put it in. I always fill with lukewarm tap water and 5 drops of declorinator. I didn't realize he was tropical. Poor dude is probably freezing! I'm going to check out the water heater you mentioned from PetSmart. Thanks for your input.
Any time. Btw I would bump up the water changes, as you don't want the water to get cloudy at any time. And I think the heaters go under the gravel, but there may be another one.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Nice to meet you....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote