Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #21 
Maddybelle

Wow, my mom is from Yakima. Grew up on the reservation, actually.

Awesome tank! I know the cories must love that sand. It'll look even better all planted up. Have you considered water wisteria? I love mine, it grows like crazy even in not so perfect conditions. I just let it float, since all my tanks are bare bottomed now.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #22 
itsuki

thanks, maddybelle. i have thought about getting wisteria as well. my catfish are actually otos, not cories, but they do like the sand. i think they freaked out in excitement when they found out i added it to the tank.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #23 
valen1014

Make sure you give your otos some supplements if you aren't already ^^; They are adorable!
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #24 
bryanacute

First off welcome to the forum! I'm Bryana aka Bryanacute. Enjoy your stay and may the betta bug strike!
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #25 
blu the betta

hows your betta doing itsuki.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #26 
itsuki

@valen1014, i bought my otos algae wafers but they wouldnt eat them. then i tried .....what the word....blanched cucumber and carrots, they wouldnt eat those either, they seem to just want to suck on the tank walls and plants, they shift around in the sand too. i havent checked their stomach size in a week or so but they do seem larger then when i initially bought them.

@blu he's doing well, he's got energy and can do some pretty fast bursts of speed when he wants , the fins look great, his body looks filled in, i feed him nicely 3 or 4 pellets twice a day and on occassion freezedried bloodworms
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #27 
blu the betta

thats good but mine is getting fin rot.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #28 
itsuki

fish meds (just in case of emergencies) and a water tester kit are the next thing on the list......well not exactly i stopped by the petsmart by my workplace at lunch (just to window shop) and saw an amazon sword for sale!! $2.50!! for a pair!! but one is was really sickly looking and all light brown/dead/dying and the other has just a tip of brown and the end of the leaves SOOOOOO i ended up coming back with amazon sword :) then for the reminder of the work day i was thinking about going to walmart to buy soil for my tank and go dirtedl, well soil on bottom with a layer of sand on top for extra growth on my live plants. i got a bag of miracle gro organic choice potting mix (saw a few vids using this stuff on the net and i believe was even mentioned by name in the book ecology of a planted aquarium). i havent redone the tank with it yet, i only planted the lively looking sword and put the dead looking one in a tall jar with potting mix and sand with a lamp and see how well he can do by himself/if he can come back to life or not. im going to start a thread about potting mix to see who has experience with it.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote