Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #1 
Elliriyanna

Minimum Tank Size?

I currently have one betta boy and I kind of want to add a little female to our family ( Don't tell my boyfriend lol) But with limited space I was wondering the minimum size tank I could keep her in.

I would just put her in with my ADF's when I get that tank up and running but there is the whole overstocking issue :(
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #2 
KuriousArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
I currently have one betta boy and I kind of want to add a little female to our family ( Don't tell my boyfriend lol) But with limited space I was wondering the minimum size tank I could keep her in.

I would just put her in with my ADF's when I get that tank up and running but there is the whole overstocking issue :(

I'm assuming you are keeping her separate from the male. If so then you would need at least a 5 gal. Since ADF's are social they need at least 2 at 1 gal per frog and 3 gal for the betta so there is as little stress on the bioload as possible. AFD's from what I have read are also do not cause a huge impact on the bio load also I have read that it works out better if the frogs are in the tank before the betta so there is no issue of the betta feeling as though its territory is being invaded.

Also consider that AFD's can be sensitive to water quality fluctuations so its a lot better for the frogs if the tank has done at least a 3 - 6 week cycle.

If you are planning to breed I would look around on the forums there are some great set up guides there for breeding tanks.

I myself am in the process of setting up a 5 gal tank for a male betta and a couple ADF's let me know how your works out.
KuriousArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post

I've seen a lot of ten gallon tanks that have been separated down the middle. That seems pretty great if you ask me. I think it really depends on the person. As a general rule of thumb, it seems that most owners can agree that you don't want to go below 2G. As always, I feel like my advice needs to come with a warning that I don't have a ton of experience. I'm just re-wording what I've read floating around here. :P
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #4 
Elliriyanna

No I don't plan to breed them I just like how cute the little girls are.

I was planning on a 5 gallon just for the ADF's since most recommend 2-2.5 gallons per frog :)

I am planning a 4-6 week cycle of the ADF tank using my current Betta's tank

If the Betta had her own gallon what would be the Minimum tank size?

Any recommended small tank starter kits? Or just tanks ... I am sure I can find a small filter and I will have to buy a heater anyway.

The problem with Bettas and ADF's and the reason I will probably never try it is simple ... Bettas can be aggressive and eat faster than ADF's

I figured the minimum size was somewhere between 2-3 gallons

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 01-26-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: New post
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #5 
Elliriyanna

I found a cheap critter keeper if I do decide to get a girl :)
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Tank size is quite debatable. The absolute smallest I would go for a single Betta is 2.5g BUT prefer at least a 5g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #7 
eatmice2010

+1 shellieca
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #8 
Elliriyanna

Well I found a 4.5 gallon kritter Keeper :) That seems large enough its just a teeny bit smaller than a 5 gallon.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

Tank size is always a huge debate. I am of the mindset that if you can heat it and keep it clean, any size is appropriate. That being said, for practical purposes I don't recommend anything smaller than 2 gallons for people first learning to keep these fish. 2 gallons is relatively easy to heat with a 25 watt heater, and requires only 2 water changes a week (one 50%, on 100%, or two 50% if planted). It also is of a size that is easy for long finned males to swim in without being so overly large as to stress them out. It also has enough room to make incredibly heavily planted, which could thus reduce water changes further.

Though from personal experience, females do like to swim a lot since they don't have all those fins to slow them down. You made a good choice with the 4.5. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #10 
Elliriyanna

Actually my frog forum pointed out to me a 10 gallon would be better than the 5 gallon I am planning for the frogs ... So it sounds like once I upgrade the froggies to the 10 gallon i will have a free 5 gallon for a little girl :)

( Yay spending more money lol)