rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
I've never heard of a best tail?
They meant to say veiltail.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #15 
Laki

Ok.. You were ripped off the 2$. That is a 100% Veiltail. His fins are in bad shape due to nipping and bad water quality so they very foolishly labelled him a CT.

Here's what you need to do, they won't grow any longer perse but they will need to grow back in to form a smooth fin. He will need very clean, warm water to allow this.

I forget what size tank he is in?? If it's 1-3 gallons clean it fully every two days. No need to add salt or anything. Just condition it as normally. Clean water will have this grown back in no time.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #16 
daylily

He never has had rounded fins. He is in a 5 gal cycled planted tank. I test the water twice a week, and do a 50-60% water change every Sunday. Numbers are consistent at ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10. There are no other fish in there to nip fins. I feed him one pellet at a time, so no wasted food. Even when I feed bloodworms he eats one at a time off tweezers. He eats thawed brine shrimp from a little syringe, so no waste there either. Water is crystal clear. Plants are growing well. There are a few snails in there, that I take out whenever I see them, but it is an ongoing battle.

I rinse the filter regularly, every 3-4 weeks.

Is it possible he has some crowntail genes and this is just the way his fins are?

I do have high PH, at 8.0 I have read ths can affect fins.

And, he is always wiggling himself down under plants. The gravel is rounded. No sharp rocks or anything in the tank.

His fins have grown to three times the length they were when I got him 3-4 months ago.

Last edited by daylily; 01-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #17 
Laki

No they won't grow any longer. If they have grown for the last 3-4 months my best bet is that he had VERY bad fins when you bought him and they're just filling in now naturally. It's possible he has damaged fins but I say in another month or so with that fantastic diet you give him, he will resemble more a VT.
It's great your tank is cycled and suitable size, keeping some snails is beneficial to the plants but that's a different story.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #18 
daylily

I had a snail explosion a few weeks back. Little tiny things everywhere.

Next month, the aquarium store will be having their 1/2 off sale, and I am planning on getting a red onion nerite (sp?) snail to put in his tank. Worried it might not get enough food though. I never see any algae. I do have 2 community tanks, though, and figured at worse case I could move the snail between the tanks, or put a shrimp pellet or algae wafer in for it once a week. The 15 gal. has one in now, and it does a great job cleaning up.

I have some floating plants, salvinia minima, water lettuce, phyllanthrus fluitans (red root floater) and hornwort in the betta tank. The snails have eaten a lot of the r.r.floater. It didn't have any holes in it when I got it 3 weeks ago, now some of it looks like lace. Grrr. In the community tank, it still looks great. I see the snails on it every morning. I'm considering putting some lettuce or zucchini in there to try to "trap" them.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #19 
Laki

Alternatively, you could get a pair of assassin snails. They eat up those pest snails like nobody's business. And they're fun to have around.
You would NOT be able to keep nerites in the same tank as assassins though.

My nerite does not eat algae wafers, and she only grazes on algae which grows on the glass, divider and driftwood.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #20 
nel3

My vt also has some spikey rays at the end of his fins. THey could be 25 percent of fin length at most but dont get any loner. when ct have 50 percent length ray extension.

Last edited by nel3; 01-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote