Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #3461 
Sparrowhawk

I have a dilemma! I desperately want this fish, but was originally going to wait until I got the currently empty tank cycled before purchasing on AB. I've never seen a white DTPK before... Are they uncommon?

What's peoples' opinion? Is he as awesome as I think he is? If so, should I go ahead and buy him, and do a fish-in cycle? (As I said earlier, I was going to wait, I don't generally like to take risks...)

Eeeeeep! I imagine someone else must have had a similar dilemma in the past, wanting to purchase before their tanks were ready! >.<
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3462 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't know how common they are, but he is GORGEOUS! I have dilemmas, too. It's like, I see a fish I REALLYY like but my tank isn't cycled yet, and then I can't decide if I should get the fish now because maybe maybe I'll either regret not getting him or I will get him and then see a fish later that I like even better and then not have the room, lol. I know that's not very helpful :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #3463 
Sparrowhawk

Yeah, I don't want to regret not buying him, which is why I was asking if pretties like him are seen reasonably regularly, because obviously I'd rather wait until the tank's cycled, but if not... Yeah. Don't wanna be kicking myself a few months down the track, hehe!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #3464 
Chard56

I saw a Silver White and Black Dragon Halfmoon at a local store and went back to get it the next day and of coarse it was gone. Last week it was a Purple Plakat Elephant Ear and I had just splurged on some extra groceries. Never fails. I feel that if you have the extra money and feel that you may lose out on it, go for it!
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #3465 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
The male's fins don't look too great, but the colours.... Like koi fish. Sigh. I want a whole sorority of females like the female. In different colours of course. I'd set the tank up like a miniature koi pond.

I could just DIE for a girl like this... I love koi, and the spotted coloring... Dalmatian or whatever else its called, lol. LOVE it! (I may be too picky. I don't see a lot of fish that have that "wow" factor for me, ha.) I really like females/PKs, not too into DTs or VTs (even though I have one and I love him to death - got him from Walmart back when VTs were all they had). I also seem to like lighter, but still vibrant colors best.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #3466 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Yeah, I don't want to regret not buying him, which is why I was asking if pretties like him are seen reasonably regularly, because obviously I'd rather wait until the tank's cycled, but if not... Yeah. Don't wanna be kicking myself a few months down the track, hehe!
Not sure if you know this, but just make sure you contact Jodi-Lea/Fishchick before purchasing any fish from AB. You have to pay her $22/27 a fish to bring into Australia, and then it has to spend 7 days in quarantine before being mailed out to you.

So it ends up being at least $40 extra on top of the betta's purchase price. She's the only one that I know of that can bring fish in from AB. I deal with her all the time and she is great.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #3467 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Not sure if you know this, but just make sure you contact Jodi-Lea/Fishchick before purchasing any fish from AB. You have to pay her $22/27 a fish to bring into Australia, and then it has to spend 7 days in quarantine before being mailed out to you.

So it ends up being at least $40 extra on top of the betta's purchase price. She's the only one that I know of that can bring fish in from AB. I deal with her all the time and she is great.
Yup, I emailed her earlier today. As it happens, there won't be another shipment happening until mid-late February, so if I wait for a more appropriate time to purchase the little guy, he might not be there. Of course I'm going to wait until the appropriate time (who wants to be a pain in the backside for people?) so fingers crossed either him or one of his siblings will still be up for sale!

The extra cost isn't really that concerning for me, as I'm willing to invest in a fish that "speaks to me" if you get my meaning. What is concerning is the possibility of it being DOA, though I know that's completely out of my hands and I've gotta just take the chance.

EDIT: Hey LBF, which postage method do you choose? From the couple of options given (assuming I've read everything correctly) I'm unsure which would be safest for the trip to Melbourne...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #3468 
LittleBettaFish

I probably have had at least 50 fish purchased from/through Jodi-Lea over the course of two or so years, and of that I have had only one DOA at my house. This was because the bottoms had exploded out of both bags and the fish had been found in amongst the newspaper dead.

I did have some DOAs when my wild bettas had to come from Indonesia to Bangkok to be shipped out (they died in Bangkok). However, these were replaced free of charge by the seller.

I always get Jodi-Lea to send my fish via Australia Post, but that is because our local post office is pretty good at getting parcels safely to you. I believe Fastaway is the other option, but I've never used them.

Jodi-Lea is great at what she does. I've had sensitive wild bettas shipped from her shop up in QLD and spawn the same day they arrive at my house. All her fish are kept in tip-top shape while they are with her.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #3469 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I probably have had at least 50 fish purchased from/through Jodi-Lea over the course of two or so years, and of that I have had only one DOA at my house. This was because the bottoms had exploded out of both bags and the fish had been found in amongst the newspaper dead.

I did have some DOAs when my wild bettas had to come from Indonesia to Bangkok to be shipped out (they died in Bangkok). However, these were replaced free of charge by the seller.

I always get Jodi-Lea to send my fish via Australia Post, but that is because our local post office is pretty good at getting parcels safely to you. I believe Fastaway is the other option, but I've never used them.

Jodi-Lea is great at what she does. I've had sensitive wild bettas shipped from her shop up in QLD and spawn the same day they arrive at my house. All her fish are kept in tip-top shape while they are with her.
Oooh, that's excellent news! Being my first time getting a fish imported I'm a bit nervy, call me silly if you wish! Hehe. Hmm. Probably going to go with Fastaway, our post office is awful at actually bringing stuff to the door. Apparently walking a few metres up a path and buzzing our flat number at the intercom is too much work, so they just leave notes at the letterbox for us to go and collect parcels. The one time I've had things sent by Fastaway, their guy was very polite and came straight up to the door. I envy those whose AusPost local offices actually have their people deliver things!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #3470 
LittleBettaFish

We did have a guy who used to walk up to our door (I was actually home at the time but too chicken to call him out) with a 'missed delivery' slip in hand and just leave it on the doorstep without even knocking. He never even carried the parcel with him.

My mum was always complaining to the post office about him. Our new guy is much nicer although I think he thought I was drug trafficking or something because I had a delivery sometimes once every week and a whole mountain of polystyrene boxes down the sideway.

Our Fastaway courier knows me by name haha. He has delivered parcels so many times here.

I can't see your picture anymore, but who was the seller of the white male you were interested in?

Tags
aquabid, beautiful fish, fishy_fishy, i need more money, i need to win the lottery, why do i do this