Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Cats & Betta fish

My two favorite types of pets are cats and betta fish. I think this could be a problem, because cats like to kill small things and eat fish. Lol and betta fish are small and fish.

I would like to have both at one time some day, because I want to have betta fish and cats my whole life. I can't have a cat now, but when I move I will get one.

So what I was wondering, was if there are any cases out there where your cat doesn't realize that your betta exists? Thats the most I can hope for when I get a cat...Or is there a way I can make it so the cat leaves the fish alone or is unaware of it's existance? I really don't want to deal with murdered fish or broken aquarium equipment...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #2 
Saphira101

I have four cats, they all know that the bettas exist. (one of them tries to jump up onto the surface that my tanks are on). my solution is to make as little space for the cat to sit on the table/stand/dresser as possible. this usually discourages them.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 
BettaPirate

I have two small tanks and three cats. both tanks have a lid so that the cat cannot dip its paws in there. One of the boy cats doesn't even really care they are there, sometimes I'll catch him just kind of sitting on the floor watching them but usually he ignores them. The other boy cat doesn't so much care about the fish but wants to drink their water so I just keep my bedroom door closed when I am not around so he can't get to it and possibly knock it over, but so far he hasn't really touched them except to stick his nose up to the air hole. The girl cat LOVES to play with my VT! She will sit next to his tank and paw at the side when he swims by, he plays right back with her, it is hilarious! My CT just goes and hides from her because he doesn't want to play.

It is possible to have both fish and cats, you just have to make sure that:
1. the tank has a sturdy lid
2. the tank is big/heavy enough that the cat can't knock it over
3. watch the fish to make sure the cat's presence isn't stressing them out
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #4 
eemmais

Well I don't have a cat but I have a dog who likes to attack/hunt things..... If the tank is heavily planted/decorated, maybe the cat won't notice the fish so much? Also make sure you have a very secure lid. You could also put them in a room and make sure your cat never goes in that room unsupervised. Like I said I don't have a cat but I think some of these things would help.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Ugh. I don't like the idea of a cat messing with my aquarium and acessories when I'm not looking...You think covering the tank with a sheet at night migut help?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #6 
eemmais

I bet it would. But I think the most important thing would be having a very secure lid.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Well my favorite lids are the glass ones, and I think that would be good. Since it is so flat, I feel like it would be hard for a cat to knock over. At least I hope it would :/
Old 01-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #8 
BettaPirate

It depends on the cat but all my cats LOVE to see what is under blankets, blinds, sheets ect. so depending on the cat that might make them more curious.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Uuurgh...well what about the glass tops?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

If the glass lids are flat, it may not be a good idea. For one, the fish would need air, and two, the cat might try to sit on it. My cat used to climb onto the dresser I had a fish tank on, and he would sit on TOP of the tank hood, even though it wasn't flat. Then he'd stare at me until I noticed and made him get down. But, I think he thought he was monkey or something, because he climbed on everything to get attention.

All cats are different though, and I've known cats that don't even notice the fish, or do notice the fish and leave them alone. My brother has a tank on a not so sturdy stand, and he has three cats and a big dog, and none of them bother the fish.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote