Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #1 
MediBedi

Post Indian Almond leaf

How long can you keep an Indian Almond leaf before it goes bad or loses some of its benefits? Also how do you properly store them for long term use?

Planning on ordering some to use for breeding, just don't want them to go bad so soon.. or if they even will
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #2 
GoodMorning

I never keep mine in for more than a week (7 days), but i hear you can leave them in for up to 10 days. Although, i think 7 days is pretty standard, should be sufficient. As for storage, i think they are perfectly fine at room temperature. Mine are just in a plastic bag and they are doing just fine.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

I don't use them for breeding (don't breed), but I am pretty sure you can just leave them in there for at least 2 weeks. As they decay they actually can create food for fry. I know that I have had mine in a heavily planted tank for over a month and the shrimp love eating off them.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #4 
MediBedi

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMorning View Post
I never keep mine in for more than a week (7 days), but i hear you can leave them in for up to 10 days. Although, i think 7 days is pretty standard, should be sufficient. As for storage, i think they are perfectly fine at room temperature. Mine are just in a plastic bag and they are doing just fine.

I mean if I were to buy some and use a leaf then wanting to store the rest for later use. Whether it be a month later or a year later, will they even last a year?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 
MediBedi

not in water, I mean in general like if I put some away for later use will they still be just as good as if I just got it in the mail?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 
Myates

I use pretty much plastic bags that are at least freezer bag size, or larger, that I'm able to zip up to store my dry leaves (I order the 8-12" ones, and the guy I get them from tends to send them in good storage bags). They are fine when stored in a dry spot for a long time - unsure exactly how long, but I know at least months.. just as long as there is no moisture. I've had my last batch a few months and they are just as good as when I got them.

Up to two weeks is fine to use - it will start deteriorating sooner than that though, which isn't bad, but can be messy looking in bare bottom tanks.

I never reuse leaves - leave one in for a week, I toss out rather than "save" it for another use in another tank down the road. I'm all about the no cross contamination thing lately :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I would never resuse a leaf I already used. Plus, in the tanks mine usually stay there for about 2 weeks, especially in spawn tanks. As for storing, zip loc bag(s) and stored in a cool, dry place away from moisture. Then it lasts for a good amount of time.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You can store a dry leaf forever. Don't store it in a damp area like the fridge),
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #9 
MediBedi

Talking

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #10 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
You can store a dry leaf forever. Don't store it in a damp area like the fridge),
Yeah, pretty much what indjo said here. I have IALs in a dry bag sitting around for months before ever being used. And they're perfectly fine. No mold will ever grow on these are long as they're kept dry.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote