Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #1 
itamag

A few words in honor of Max

I remember when I first saw you. My sister decided that she wants a fish and I cam with her to buy one. The seller said that Bettas are amazingly hardy fish that last long, and my sister got you.When we got home, she was too afraid to move you from the baggie you were in to your two-three liter aquarium, so I did. Already then I liked you, A week passed and my sister was surprisingly recruited to the army. Now you were all mine. I loved you. You knew my face and were excited whenever I got near the aquarium. You built bubble nests all the time.. Whenever my family would laugh at me for having a fish, and caring and loving it I would start about "Max's great personality, and how intelligent yet strong he is". I would talk about all of this and about the great life you are having with pride. About half a year ago, I went abroad for a month and left you with my family. The really, heavily overfed you. I don't recall how much time it took, but something changed. I started researching about what's happening and discovered that your life in the tank are far from humane. Your aquarium was only 3 liters big and with no heater or filter. You've had constipation for (I believe) most of your life. Later. it was Swim Bladder Disorder. Then, I noticed fin rot and got really worried. What if it would have reached your beautiful body? But you body was already not the same - it was paler thinner and to your glorious self. I got you a 5 gallon tank, a heater and medication, and together we managed to get rid of the fin rot. After this, thought I'm still not sure, you had internal parasites. Whenever I bought things for you, decorations, medications, I didn't doubt the idea that you'd get better and become your usual self. Family, friends, even the seller at the pet store laughed at me for not letting you just die. Inside, it made me furious. Lately you were getting worse, because of what I thought was constipation. Now, I would like to believe you were getting the peaceful, natural, painless death you deserve. I still see you in the bottom of the tank - after writing this I will have my last chance to repay you for the happiness and love you gave me, and bury you. You are not a piece of garbage! You will not be flushed or thrown to the dumpster. I still see you lie down there, but I now think of only the happy times we had together.

Max, I am sorry that you died, I feel like and am quite sure it is my fault. I am sorry that you didn't have more time and that you died because of my ignorance. At least I can say we didn't give up. All I hope for is that now you're free of the body that was imprisoning you and your amazing personality - better then a lot of those people I know. Even about a week ago, you had a couple of days of lucidity, in which you had played with me like old times and when I got away from the aquarium you would wiggle your "tail" as if to draw my attention. This is now how I'll remember you, and I hope you even loved me at all and thought of me the same.

Max, I am sorry. You are my first and last fish. You are special, and you deserve to be remembered by your best times, with your beautiful, amazing red veil fins. Max, I love you.

R.I.P MAX. 2011 - 2013
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

itamag, I am so sorry for your loss of your special little friend Max Many of us start out with keeping bettas in less than ideal conditions because we have been misinformed on their care, the important thing is that we do everything we can to provide them with the best living conditions that we can once we realise the truth about these wonderful little fish. You did your best by Max and I am sure he appreciated it. I am so sorry to hear that you will not be getting another betta...... you sound like a caring person that would do the best by these awesome little fish, I am sure any betta would be lucky to have an owner that cared about them as much as you did for Max. As time goes on your pain will be less and who knows you may find yourself considering to give another betta a good home that they are so often denied.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #4 
tilli94

You sound like a great person and I'm sure max loved you. dont feel bad you did the best you could and you obviously loved him. When my first betta died I cried for weeks and swore I'd never get another, but then I saw a sad little betta boy at Walmart with no color and hardly any fins and just had to take him home. I had him for 3 years and he was so happy and funny all his life. So sorry to hear about your boy. I hope you feel better soon.
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote