Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #21 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I have mostly veils, and I've seen some interesting colors on them. I'm not sure why they're no longer on the showable list (not an IBC member) but unless breeders step up and do something about it, the veils are going to go completely downhill.

Conservation of a breed!
The VT's, until recently, showed more of the old rich colors many of us grew up with on bettas. The current trend to crazy patterned fish has degraded the color in bettas, HM's especially, a bit. We can get that color where it is not lost easier in the VT. And historically... as a breeder and an organization I think we have a responsibility to look at the VT and preserve it. We have elections in the IBC and I am up for president. I think we need to address the VT and see what can be done about getting people serious about breeding nice ones.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #22 
LadyVictorian

1. Going to be joining IBC soonish before I start breeding HMPK and HM

Personally I love the HMPK and HM's but if IBC came up with great standards on VT's that I really liked and I found them beautiful like I do the PK, HMPK, and HM's then I would breed, if I didn't like the standards then likely won't sink the time into it. I'm such a HM and PK person.

2. Would love to breed marbles and butterfly but...gah what would butterfly look like on a vt O.o would it even look good? Solid whites and blacks would be cool too. I just feel a black vt betta would look nice. Steel blues would be cool as well, I also though they are already common I like the solid reds. My male I own in a solid red and I think he's beautiful. I like when vt's tails are not too absurdly long because when they are shorter they look better swimming but something tells me IBC would want them long and draping. When they are shorter they tend to look more flag like. I love the tail being thick at the base as well and rounded at the end rather than tapering off like some petstores have been showing up lately. I also like when the dorsal is shorter and doesn't drop over to one side. If it could look more like hm or det's dorsal it would also be nice. xD I guess I already have my personal standard of what a vt should look like. They just look better flaring and swimming like that and I think the fish should make people say WOW when they flare like the HM, Det, and PK's do. If we want the VT's to make it they have to get the same response.

3. I'll be honest, my goal is next year to start showing HM and HMPK fish...not sure about vt. Unless IBC add's them then you can't show them aside from shipping them to other countries and I'm not going to do that.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

VT Butterflies

Not as striking as a HM butterfly, but definitely not garbage by any means.

I think the VT has been massively underplayed, and like I said before, most of my bettas have ever been veils, because I'm just not a fan of crowns (which are also locally available), and double tails make my back hurt just looking at them.

Also, some of these color trends are just too... ugh. Sure, I like kois, and I have a VT koi, but I keep scouring the internet for a splendens that looks like the ones the Cambodians first scooped out of the paddies. A "Wild-phase" if you will. It's our job as fanciers to make sure the breeders don't leave anyone behind. I'd like to see better VT's than the spoon-faced, hunchbacked grocery store fish.

Heck, I may even take up their cause on that!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #24 
LadyVictorian

Have to admit vt' butterfly's are very pretty.

Also when I think of what the tails should look like this is what I picture. Also the dorsal sort of shorter look but that dorsal looks a bit messy to me, perhaps perfecting it more.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #25 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
1. Going to be joining IBC soonish before I start breeding HMPK and HM

Personally I love the HMPK and HM's but if IBC came up with great standards on VT's that I really liked and I found them beautiful like I do the PK, HMPK, and HM's then I would breed, if I didn't like the standards then likely won't sink the time into it. I'm such a HM and PK person.

2. Would love to breed marbles and butterfly but...gah what would butterfly look like on a vt O.o would it even look good? Solid whites and blacks would be cool too. I just feel a black vt betta would look nice. Steel blues would be cool as well, I also though they are already common I like the solid reds. My male I own in a solid red and I think he's beautiful. I like when vt's tails are not too absurdly long because when they are shorter they look better swimming but something tells me IBC would want them long and draping. When they are shorter they tend to look more flag like. I love the tail being thick at the base as well and rounded at the end rather than tapering off like some petstores have been showing up lately. I also like when the dorsal is shorter and doesn't drop over to one side. If it could look more like hm or det's dorsal it would also be nice. xD I guess I already have my personal standard of what a vt should look like. They just look better flaring and swimming like that and I think the fish should make people say WOW when they flare like the HM, Det, and PK's do. If we want the VT's to make it they have to get the same response.

3. I'll be honest, my goal is next year to start showing HM and HMPK fish...not sure about vt. Unless IBC add's them then you can't show them aside from shipping them to other countries and I'm not going to do that.
The thought if a BF VT is interesting.. lol. Need to trace off that standard and do some coloring..

And breeding the VT's would have to start like any other "new" class.. they would need to be shown in the variations at this point. If you come across any nice solid VT's it might be worth trying breed them for good color now and send a few to some shows. I think the interest is there FOR the VT.. just need to take the proper steps to make it happen.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #26 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Have to admit vt' butterfly's are very pretty.

Also when I think of what the tails should look like this is what I picture. Also the dorsal sort of shorter look but that dorsal looks a bit messy to me, perhaps perfecting it more.
This one is pretty solid.. got some red wash but could get this in a few generations to a good solid blue line. That would be awesome!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #27 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
VT Butterflies

Not as striking as a HM butterfly, but definitely not garbage by any means.

I think the VT has been massively underplayed, and like I said before, most of my bettas have ever been veils, because I'm just not a fan of crowns (which are also locally available), and double tails make my back hurt just looking at them.

Also, some of these color trends are just too... ugh. Sure, I like kois, and I have a VT koi, but I keep scouring the internet for a splendens that looks like the ones the Cambodians first scooped out of the paddies. A "Wild-phase" if you will. It's our job as fanciers to make sure the breeders don't leave anyone behind. I'd like to see better VT's than the spoon-faced, hunchbacked grocery store fish.

Heck, I may even take up their cause on that!
LOVE that red!! You dont see that color.. that rich red often any more. And look how bright that blue is. It is time we looked at preserving the VT and allow them to be more.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #28 
LadyVictorian

I have a solid red vt male but he's a bit dark and also I think he's half giant as he is pretty close (without tail) to 3 inches. He also has a bad head and mouth :/, the rest of him looks nice, he's the only vt in years I have liked.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #29 
Skyewillow

Sometimes the veils just have bad bodies. Which really bugs me.

I'm really thinking I could join the cause for the VT's.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #30 
Maddybelle

My Petco has some very nice VTs, even saw a few great orange girls. Unfortunately I'm probably going to lose my orange vt boy. =( But I have a blue grizzle VT boy that has finnage shaped very much like the the 2nd and 3rd ones Skyewillow posted. Maybe if I breed him to either my cellophane HM girl or the blue HM girl I have coming on Tuesday, the fry will have even better finnage.

I'm still a little unclear as to how the Variations class works: is it for the types that don't have their own IBC standard yet, like orchids and VTs? And what is the process for the IBC to draw up and pass a new standard?
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote