Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #1 
OneEyedWilly

what type and color is my betta male?

My male, is blackish, he has a tint of a metallic copper to him in the right light but he mostly looks black with white on his pectoral fins and his tail is clear at the tips. I cant get a good picture of him. I have three females I would like to know more about but getting pictures of them is near impossible they hardly ever hold still. Is he a good betta? I want to breed him with one of my iridescent females just to see what the babies look like, is it a good idea? I have a local pet store that would take all the extra babies.
Attached Images

OneEyedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

he's a copper butterfly as far as color, and somewhere on the delta/halfmoon spectrum as far as tail type. there's no way to tell which without a flaring photo.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #3 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
I want to breed him with one of my iridescent females just to see what the babies look like, is it a good idea? I have a local pet store that would take all the extra babies.
That is a stupid idea. You should never breed anything just to "See what the babies look like."
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #4 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
That is a stupid idea. You should never breed anything just to "See what the babies look like."
Ouch, jeez okay okay I get it.

Edit, then why do people breed their bettas?
OneEyedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

People breed for shows and to improve betta's forms and supply other breeders with show quality betta's to breed into their lines for shows.

I have to agree, breeding just to see the babies is a BAD idea. There is SO much more to breeding than just that.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

You may want to check out the Breeding forum to find out what's involved. There's a lot to it. It's not just putting two fish together, and letting them breed. Lots of threads in that forum discuss the process, requirements, costs, and what to do with the fry that result.....

There's also a "breeding questions" sticky in the Breeding forum with links to information about breeding: Breeding questions
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 
KCalNeon

I don't mean to be nosy but I think the comments could have been worded a little better. Like breeding is not a good idea.. and so on. Some people might get offended when their idea is shut down like that. Instead of saying the idea is stupid, links and resources could have been provided to say why breeding is not a good idea.

That's just my opinion and I don't mean to call anyone out or offend anyone. :)
KCalNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCalNeon View Post
I don't mean to be nosy but I think the comments could have been worded a little better. Like breeding is not a good idea.. and so on. Some people might get offended when their idea is shut down like that. Instead of saying the idea is stupid, links and resources could have been provided to say why breeding is not a good idea.

That's just my opinion and I don't mean to call anyone out or offend anyone. :)
We shouldn't have to sugar-coat things to appease someones delicate psyche.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #9 
bettaisbetter

Breeding takes a lot of work. It's a very time & money consuming hobby. It shouldn't be taken lightly. You could spend over $500 on F1. You could also get over 100+ babies in a spawn. Think your store can carry so much? Who even knows if they will take good care of them. You would need to get extra supplies, fry foods, jars, grow outs, shipping supplies, etc.

I do agree that your male is beautiful, but you will need to know the basics and responsibility first. Shaina was just being helpful in a stubborn way, she doesn't want the fry to go to bad places and suffer in life due to bad breeders.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #10 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
Breeding takes a lot of work. It's a very time & money consuming hobby. It shouldn't be taken lightly. You could spend over $500 on F1. You could also get over 100+ babies in a spawn. Think your store can carry so much? Who even knows if they will take good care of them. You would need to get extra supplies, fry foods, jars, grow outs, shipping supplies, etc.

I do agree that your male is beautiful, but you will need to know the basics and responsibility first. Shaina was just being helpful in a stubborn way, she doesn't want the fry to go to bad places and suffer in life due to bad breeders.
+!