Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #11 
Hershey

Gotta take things how they come. That's life.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaisbetter View Post
Breeding takes a lot of work. It's a very time & money consuming hobby. It shouldn't be taken lightly. You could spend over $500 on F1. You could also get over 100+ babies in a spawn. Think your store can carry so much? Who even knows if they will take good care of them. You would need to get extra supplies, fry foods, jars, grow outs, shipping supplies, etc.

I do agree that your male is beautiful, but you will need to know the basics and responsibility first. Shaina was just being helpful in a stubborn way, she doesn't want the fry to go to bad places and suffer in life due to bad breeders.
+1
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #13 
OneEyedWilly

Okay, so I wont breed my male for a long time until I am sure I have the knowledge and supplies needed to be ready, but if I do later on down the road, what type of female would produce good babies with him? should I search for a dark half moon female with copper just like him?
OneEyedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #14 
bettaisbetter

How long will that be, exactly? Their breeding drive usually ends after they hit one year of age. They're about 6 months once they arrive at the store. If you want to carry his color on, then a female that looks like him will be best.

And the conditioning of the male and female will usually take up to 2 weeks or so.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

Also know what his faults are and what you need to improve. Get a female that will help correct those faults. Not sure but in the photo his body looks a bit too short. Might just be the way you took the pictures. Also get a pic of him fully flared but if he has a short body don't bother breeding him at all, that is a MAJOR fault. If he has rosetail in his line (which x factor fish...tends' to cause short bodies) then it's hard to breed out.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #16 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Also know what his faults are and what you need to improve. Get a female that will help correct those faults. Not sure but in the photo his body looks a bit too short. Might just be the way you took the pictures. Also get a pic of him fully flared but if he has a short body don't bother breeding him at all, that is a MAJOR fault. If he has rosetail in his line (which x factor fish...tends' to cause short bodies) then it's hard to breed out.
No you're right he is pretty in colors but he has a short stout body, maybe I will wait and get another male for another time.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #17 
xShainax

You should invest in a show quality betta pair
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #18 
LadyVictorian

I agree, show pair is WAY worth it. The stout body like I said is a major fault. You can check aquabid for a lot of well priced males and females. Wait till around April to ship unless it's around 78 to 80 in your state, then you won't have to pay the extra for a heating pack and pick a warmer state to tranship to. If you have a transhipper in your state it's even cheaper as you can do a pickup.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #19 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I agree, show pair is WAY worth it. The stout body like I said is a major fault. You can check aquabid for a lot of well priced males and females. Wait till around April to ship unless it's around 78 to 80 in your state, then you won't have to pay the extra for a heating pack and pick a warmer state to tranship to. If you have a transhipper in your state it's even cheaper as you can do a pickup.
I'm from Alabama warm weather is all we have, and I think I will invest in a show quality pair around mid spring, I love my current male and my sorority the idea of expanding my collection and raising them from fry had excited me.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #20 
OneEyedWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
he's a copper butterfly as far as color, and somewhere on the delta/halfmoon spectrum as far as tail type. there's no way to tell which without a flaring photo.
Here is the best picture I could get of him flaring, I couldn't hold the mirror and take the picture at the same time >_<
Attached Images

Last edited by OneEyedWilly; 01-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.