Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sand isn't very good at holding stuff down. I recommend you get a few rocks... bunch the plants, stick them into the substrate and position the rocks around the bottom (not too tight) to hold the stems down.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #12 
Romad
TFK Moderator

You can try resting a rock at the base of the plants until they get a foothold and put roots down. I've done that a bunch of times with Cabomba. I

I've also tied stems together at the base (above the roots) with sewing thread and then weighed them down a bit when planting.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I think your problem is a lack of a definable hardscape. Really the only kind of scapes I see that work well without a hardscape are dutch scapes and that is because there is such a masterful transition in size, colour and shape between the groupings of plants.

I think that definitely look at getting some more hardscape in such as rocks or wood if you can. I would personally ditch the columns because I think fake ornaments are tacky, but if not, perhaps find some rocks and position them around it so that the columns look like ruins and then drape it all in something like moss or pennywort to give it the look of age. Some anubias nana around the rocks would give it a rainforest sort of feel.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote