Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #31 
LittleBettaFish

As a breeder you do not look at the breeding suitability of your fish from an emotional standpoint. Otherwise it clouds your objectivity.

Some of my favourite fish have had atrocious form but it doesn't mean that I have liked them any less. It just means they are not of the quality to be bred from.

You just enjoy your male for what he is, a pet. The market for bettas is saturated with average, pet quality fish so I would not recommend adding to it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #32 
eatmice2010

So do you not feel happy when you are going to breed your betta?
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #33 
LadyVictorian

+1 to Little

He's a great pet but not for breeding so love him as a pet.

Also like said breeding isn't something you can make too emotional. With the culling and the work ahead and breeding for better form you can't let emotion get in the way. You can't breed a fish because you love him. Bad form is bad form. They can be wonderful pets still which is just as good. Breeding is also a lot more than just making pets for yourself, I don't think a single breeder breeds to have more betta fish as pets. Everyone breeds with a goal in mind, some are breeding for a certain strain, a certain color, some to win shows, some to improve the species, some to save a dying old breed, some make money though they often fail and fall to the wayside.

Your fish isn't a monster, if that is how you feel about him as a pet then you are in betta's for the wrong reasons my friend. He's a wonderful pet yes. I have a dog with three legs, LIKE HELL I would breed him, he's fixed but he's still an AMAZING pet despite his deformities. No your fish isn't breeding worthy but he is pet worthy. In fact a lot of culls who are not killed are sold to only be pets NOT to be bred. So though a breeder would have culled him an owner can love him as their treasured family member.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #34 
eatmice2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post

Your fish isn't a monster, if that is how you feel about him as a pet then you are in betta's for the wrong reasons my friend..
When i first got him, I was on a mission to find a black Hm. But then i found him (I would never pick him because he was not the color i wanted and because he was labeled super delta), But as soon as i saw him i new he was the fish i wanted. I only started wanting to breed him as of lately because he is adorable, i have the money to support babies, I seen all these other post with people so happy about there babies and i wanted to see what a yellow or black with his color would make.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #35 
LadyVictorian

Answer...a mess

If you bred to him it would have to be a straight blue or straight red otherwise you will mostly just get blues with washed out other colors.

Another option if you really want to just have the joy of baby fish...petco baby rescue. You still get a baby fish and also save a fish and still get another pet in the end.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #36 
eatmice2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Another option if you really want to just have the joy of baby fish...petco baby rescue. You still get a baby fish and also save a fish and still get another pet in the end.
Ya, I would do that but i dont like that i dont no what im going to end up with. I think i might just set up my other tank and get another adult male from the place i got July, but this time i know what to watch out for.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #37 
LadyVictorian

Well when you breed you don't know what you are ending up with either. Unless you have studied genetics and your pair are from a tracked line.

Also with most petco babies if you are good at gendering you can tell what is a male and female or at least have a good idea. I am able to tell them apart now. Plus their color is pretty obvious a lot too. When i got my girl I could see the red in her tail and sure enough she grew into a bright orange tail and I could see the blue in her body and she grew to have a lavender body. Just have to look harder than most other grown fish to see them. Not long ago I even saw a tiny baby who I could tell was going to be a marble boy. Very pretty, his body was getting very white and he had one blue spot oh him. His ventral's pointed to male too so I was 98% sure he was a boy which was why I didn't get him, I only have room for girls right now.

I say if you really want to get into breeding learn form standards for the tailtypes, also look into genetics and learn about color's and genetics following betta color and tailtypes.

Actually when I first seriously got into training to breed mice I made a WHOLE 'stable' of imaginary mice, wrote out their genotypes and phenotypes and breed them and calculated their offspring. I also found a cool online game based on breeding and genetics of griffins that had a very set line and was actually very educational and realistic and also based off real horse genetics as well. My cousin did a whole report on the site for biology class and got an A. I'm doing that now even with betta stuff, if you could see the stack of printoffs and charts I threw together revolving around betta genetics. Also helps to join IBC if you want to breed.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 01-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #38 
LittleBettaFish

I think breeding has to be done completely objectively. Once subjectivity enters the equation, the blinkers usually come on and people fail to see the faults in their fish. Yes, there is no such thing as the perfect fish, but there are varying levels of quality between individuals.

It is hard slog to produce high quality stock if you start down the very poor end of the spectrum. That is going to be a lot of culling and work to iron out the kinks and produce a solid line of betta. This is why people always advise to start off with the best possible fish you can, as it increases the odds of you producing offspring on par or even better than their parents.

There's no use aiming for average. Whenever you breed anything, always aim for the best. You have to remember, it's going to take roughly the same time and effort to raise a tank of culls as it is to raise a tank of show quality fish. And in the end, it's the better quality fish that are going to be the ones that find homes the fastest.

If you are unsure of what a quality betta looks like, maybe contact one of the more experienced breeders on here. A good mentor, can always help train your eye.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote