Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #1 
Skyrocket Moon

Beta Dropsy

My beta recently started swelling. He is still as firey as ever continues to attack his reflection. Stays around the bottom of the tank like a healthy one does. I noticed the signs at first in the 10 gallon tank when he started to hug the water heater in the corner of the tank. I knew something wasnt right and continued to watch him. He didn't show signs for a month of anything wrong other than that. This week I noticed his belly was a little round but only seemed like I was over feeding him. However, as the week went the size the size doubled and is now truely dropsy. I feared it would happen since he is a 2 1/2 year old beta. I have put him into my medical tank its a 1/2 gallon and treating the water with maracyn two, Petsmart was out of beta fix. I know its not curable but at least it will lower the swelling and make his slow death easier.
His name is Shark for his blue body and bloody looking fins.
He is a very healthy beta despite the dropsy. :(

He didn't live alone in the 10 gallon tank I have a dwarf gormi, green catfish, and a juvinial angle. Despite the fact that dwarfs are suppose to be docile this one isn't he knew how to swim away from the beta and he shows aggression to the green catfish, and has marked dominance to one of the plants. The angle fish follows him around it's quite cute. I think it was the angle fish that taught him to swim away from the beta. They are both schooling fish so makes sense that they learn from each other.
Skyrocket Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Oh I am so sorry that your betta has dropsy...... most of us have been there and we know how horrible it is. I am glad you are making him as comfortable as possible. Our thoughts are with you
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #3 
Skyrocket Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Oh I am so sorry that your betta has dropsy...... most of us have been there and we know how horrible it is. I am glad you are making him as comfortable as possible. Our thoughts are with you
Thanks I'll take a picture a day to show how his belly progresses and tell about how his mood if it changes. So far its day one of treatment and he seems completely unaware of his condition for such a big swell.

It is also my first time dealing with dropsy. I originally thought it would be easy to spot the swell but it goes from what looks like a simple over feed/constipation to a full out underbelly swell in just two days. I have learned that this issue gets bad very quickly. I was not prepared.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #4 
Skyrocket Moon

So far his belly hasn't changed its day two of treating but at least it's not showing signs of getting larger either. His mood has changed a little bit instead of full out flare he now just bumps his head and doesn't expand his gills to the full amount. I haven't fed him since the first day of treating since I haven't seen him poo yet the pressure seems to be affecting his system. He still has a appetite as when I dump in the medical powder he tries to eat it. I'm hopeing to get my hands on some espom salt and put a small pinch in. I read that this stuff helps to relive betas.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #5 
Skyrocket Moon

I read in a post here that using espom salt is bad and should be used as a last resort so I decided that I will fast him for another day or two before giving it a try.
Hes still being treated with maracyn two as well so I should probably wait a few days anyway to see if it will start working. Shark is still pretty energetic so I don't think it would harm to wait.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #6 
Skyrocket Moon

Day Three still no signs of improvements. Gave him a pea yesterday still hasn't pooed. Hate to say it but tomorrow I'll have to resort to the salt. His water is very cloudy due to the maracyn two. His behavior is now a lot more docile but he is still active for air, looking for food, just general movement.
I swear this little guy would eat till he drew his last breath. >.< It's starting to lead me to think his belly is all constipation and not dropsy.
The largest beta fish poo in history. lol if only I can get him to relieve himself.

Last edited by Skyrocket Moon; 01-29-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #7 
Noobetta

dont feed him let him starve for the better
Noobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 
Skyrocket Moon

yep I'm starving him just thought to try the pea yesterday gave him very little of it didn't want to add more bloat.
Just watching and waiting and hoping.
starving him wont hurt him that is fur sure and less exorcise too hes a very well muscled beta from chasing and flaring all day in the ten gallon over two years lol.
I think keeping him in the relaxed medical tank will help shrink down all that bloat lowering the muscle would help him too.
I just need patience.
He's such a old crown tail. I'm hoping I can save him and get him to show off again in the ten gallon before he decides to give his life up for a new beta. :(

Last edited by Skyrocket Moon; 01-29-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #9 
Noobetta

you're helping him. not really starving him. give it some time
Noobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #10 
Skyrocket Moon

thanks noobetta