Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #1 
Beatrix

suspect copper poisoning - help please

Hi everyone,

My daughter has a lovely betta named Fluffy, who's been part of the family for nearly three years. He lives in a five gallon heated aquarium with a filter.
At one point, we noticed the aquarium decoration (bought from a LFS) we had bought for him was flaking paint, so we removed it. We decided to replace it with a rock, and following all the general advice out there, we went to a store that sells aquarium supplies. After mentioning what type of fish we had, we asked which rocks were recommended. The salesperson assured us all the rocks were safe. So, we picked out our rock, brought it home, boiled it, let it cool and then put it in the aquarium.

Fluffy hasn't been doing very well lately and I have been going through every option, trying to figure out how to help him. I thought it might be ammonia, but the levels were normal (not surprising, as we keep the water very clean...) Finally, the other day, I came across a blurb that mentioned copper being unsafe for some fish. I wouldn't have thought of this, except for the fact that I had also just noticed the rock was starting to be flecked with green. So, I did a search and sure enough bettas are very sensitive to copper, and the rock is oxydizing.

I've removed the rock from the aquarium in the hopes that it isn't too late for Fluffy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can help him?

Thanks.
Beatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #2 
AquaticGirl101

If I were you, I would try a water change to get some of the copper out.

Last edited by AquaticGirl101; 01-27-2013 at 03:53 PM.
AquaticGirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 
callistra

What rock was it? More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

I'd do a series of 2-3 50% water changes with matched temp water in case the problem is the rock leached something.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #4 
Beatrix

I'm afraid I don't know the name of the rock. It's dark grey with white stripes. Thank you for the suggestions. Hopefully, this helps.
Beatrix is offline   Reply With Quote