Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

Long term epsom salt use

been reading lots of info around the site about the uses and benefits of epsom salt. I would like to use it as a supplement for my plants in the tank but i keep reading that long term use of salt is bad for betta's. What it doesn't say is it AQ salt or ES that is bad for long term use? also would using ES long term help with preventing fin rot?
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

ES won't prevent or cure fin rot. It does aid with digestion though. Yes, it could in theory be used long term in a planted tank without harming the betta. AQ salt however cannot be used long term and should not be used in planted tanks.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #3 
shawnee

s

I do not recomed it cant balce the benifits
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

Thanks for the clearing that up.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Best way to prevent fin rot and other health problems-is to keep stress factors under control to support the immune response- by maintaining the water quality, proper stocking and good nutrition.

Using either aquarium salt or Epsom salt will not prevent fin rot.

With that said, using Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) at low dose for plants or long term for chronic buoyancy problems IMO/E is safe. I use Epsom salt on occasion in my planted tanks and have kept Bettas with chronic buoyancy issues in Epsom salt for years without any issue.

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) is a great product to use for the right reason, dosage and duration. Long term use with Betta can cause kidney damage, osmotic issues and resistant issues and not recommend to use long term.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #6 
InfiniteGlory

Thanks OFL. Everything is clear now about salts. :)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Would Seachem Flourish work the same as Epsom salt for plants?

For long term preventatives for the fish, I would use Vita Chem and/or IAL. Personally, I find Epsoms annoying to have to dissolve and add each water change - and it leaves behind a residue that needs to be cleaned off more often. I have a fish with chronic bloating issues... And I just personally find the epsoms more annoying than anything.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote