Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #1 
Ramla

Live Plant question!

If part of a leaf is brown and dead, should I just cut off the whole leaf? I'm not sure if I could just break that part off or just prune the whole leaf so I don't have plant material decaying in my tank.

And if I should where on the stem should I prune it? It is an anubias plant.

Also would shrimp likely take care of this for me? I'm not sure if they clean up dead plant matter or not oO
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #2 
LyLy

I would opt for pruning the plant. Consistant and proper care will allow for healthy and better growth.

I wouldn't leave it to your shrimp, even if they do take care of some dead plant matter, they won't be able to cover it all, and if they don't do a full enough job you just end up with more hassle of being sure the water stays nice and the filter is doing its job.
LyLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 
tekkguy

I always trim my plants as close to the rhizome as possible. Anubias is tough, and it will not damage the plant. Definitely don't leave it in there rotting.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

+1
I would prune it all the way down until you have about a centimeter of the stem left. then take the leaf out and throw it away. Pruning that leaf off will stop the plant from sending nutrients to that leaf and instead the plant can use the nutrients for new growth. The shrimp will only eat but so much and the leaf will just rot and make the tank nasty.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #5 
Ramla

Alrighty thanks everyone :)
There aren't currently any shrimp in there yet, but I was just curious if they would take care of some of it if this happens again.
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote