Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #111 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol well I've never had live plants but I've posted a lot around the forum learning about them... I know that established NPTs only need 1-2 water changes a month. Plants do wonders for water quality - and it sounds like your plants are all easy beginner/hardy plants so there shouldn't be too much worry about them dying off. In surprised about the water sprite though - its very popular with members who are new to live plants.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #112 
Sparrowhawk

I know, that's why I got it! I've had great luck with my crypts, anubias and java fern (though that last one will have to go in the overhaul - they've just got too big for the tanks if there's going to be plenty of smaller ones involved) but for some reason my water sprite doesn't like me. I think everyone has that one plant that just won't work for them, judging by what I've read on here, maybe water sprite is mine, haha!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #113 
Sparrowhawk

Because I'm a chicken and didn't have the cojones to do it before and had to wait until someone else did it before I would... (Sorry Ayala) PHOTOSPAM! Cross-posted. >.<

'Cause I've got a Star Trek convention coming up this weekend, I'm gonna share the most uncomfortable costume I have ever created and worn to one, haha. Zero depth perception, laughable balance and comfort? What's that?

With one of the stars of the Aussie production of Rocky Horror back in 2008, taken at the World's Biggest Time Warp record attempt:

Fighting the zombie horde (lol) at the Melbourne Zombie Shuffle back in 2011:

Found a photo of me with hair! OMG! (But it's a wig... Still counts)

One of my favourite photos of my partner and I because it reflects how silly and childish we usually are, hehe:

And just to prove that sometimes I get behind the lens, not just in front of it...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #114 
AyalaCookiejar

Ahh! I wish I had the balls to do something crazy with my hair, lol.
You look amazing with and without it!

Sorry I accidentally hit post before I was done typing :p
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #115 
Sparrowhawk

Thank you!! I used to be scared of doing stuff with it, but once you get that "Let's just do it" feeling and just go for it, there's no turning back, haha. It's definitely addictive, especially shaving it all off. Or parts of it. I used to have an undercut with a bob, so if my hair was down I'd look "normal" but if I spiked it up I'd look like this:

(It's just a really silly photo but shows the hair a bit, had to dig a lot for that one, haha!) But it shows you can have crazy hair without the full-time commitment, lol.

This is what I call crazy hair... About 5mm long and dyed neon green, glowed under blacklights at a nightclub, hehe.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #116 
Sparrowhawk

I'm terrified. I have made the decision to finally quit smoking after seven years of being a pack-a-day girl, and with my stress levels, it's more than daunting, it's scary as all heck.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #117 
Hershey

Just keep yourself busy. Working out and punching a pillow is a great stress reliever.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #118 
AyalaCookiejar

Or try spending more time in places where smoking either isn't allowed or you are just not used to doing it. I think it's great that you decided to quit! :)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #119 
Sparrowhawk

Thanks for the support! I've cut down only slightly so far, going cold turkey isn't likely to work for me so I'm trying to take it slow and just extend the gaps, with my e-cig as a helper. So far so good! Last night (when things weren't so busy and stressful) I managed almost 3 hours without a smoke! Record breaking for me at least, although it doesn't sound like much at all to a non-smoker or a light smoker. But still, progress! Progress is good, and doesn't make ultimately quitting completely seem like such an impossible task.

This week has been so busy. I'm basically a shut-in, so seeing two people on Sunday with my partner, then seeing three people on my own and entertaining them at my place on Wednesday was really draining for me.

Then yesterday, we had to take everything out of our too-full wardrobe, rearrange it all and somehow find space for a gigantic suitcase my hoarder grandmother decided she didn't want taking up space in her room, but didn't want to get rid of. Blah! Then today, my partner and I installed two sets of blinds in the living room, and did a huge amount of shopping, made the trek home, and now it's water change time, because we won't be able to during the Big Convention Weekend. Haha.

Also getting some new piercings tomorrow! Yayyy! We're going to a private "piercing party" hosted by some of the people who belong to one of the groups we're a member of, who run one of the best piercing studios in Melbourne. Hooray! Half price piercings with top-notch professionals and people we like!

Dang, my chest and belly button are going to be sore for the next (insert however many months they'll take to heal here). Hopefully everything heals up nicely this time, last time I had them done, I had to remove them after a year of meticulously caring for the piercings, because they just weren't healing, and I didn't feel comfortable wearing latex clothing with unhealed piercings, and really wanted to get a good night's sleep where I didn't wake myself up by rolling over onto them, haha. Hopefully getting them pierced at a larger gauge will help the healing, as I've heard that can be something that drastically changes healing of those piercings for women.

But yes, YAYYYYY!! Also, duckweed and sponge filters have arrived, so it's all systems go for next weekend (the next available few days that are completely free) for the tank remodel! Wooooo!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #120 
Sparrowhawk

Just had a massive scare. Weehawk jumped out of his tank while the lid was up. Started having a panic attack, boyfriend picked him up and put him back right away. Still finding it difficult to breathe, and I don't have any of my panic meds anymore.

Boyfriend blames himself for enticing him to jump and is barely holding back tears because of all the "what ifs" - what if my knee squished him (he fell onto the bed where I was sitting), what if I knocked him into the wall in a panic, what if I knocked him the other way in a panic and boyfriend squished him, all of the horrible things that could have happened, he's thinking of them, listing them, and getting more and more upset, and it's not exactly making it any easier for me to start breathing properly again, but I understand why he's doing it.

I know Weehawk will be fine, his fins are clamped but he's swimming around as normal and ate like a champ. Just gotta try and calm all of us after that awfulness.

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 02-06-2013 at 04:28 AM.