Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #11 
RobMc

What kind of soil / substrate is the wisteria planted in? Wist ferociously rips through substrate nutrients and depletes the general area pretty quickly. If it runs out of nutrition, it can experience die back. I haven't had this issue in fluval substrate with root tablets (gell caps filled with osmocote / peat / clay) - but I did before the addition of the root ferts.

Somtimes the cutting will just start to rot before roots have a chance to grow. You'll have a lot more success if the node right above your cut already has some roots growing. Trim those roots down to 2 cm, and clip any leaves off that will be within 1 inch of the substrate.

Good luck
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #12 
carbonxxkidd

I had the same problem - I bought a potted wisteria plant thinking that I would have great luck with it because it already had roots. The whole rooted bottom rotted out. I cut off the rot and replanted the stems about an inch apart and now my wisteria is MASSIVE and needs to be trimmed! I did also move the plant from the back of the tank to the middle, where the light seems to hit it better.

Which reminds me, can anyone give a tutorial on trimming wisteria for dummies? Lol...I'm afraid to do anything to it in fear of it dying, but it needs it...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

What I do with my wisteria is pinch the tops-then I trim the leaves on that pinched top and replant the top-either straight into the substrate or I will lay a rock on the stem until it anchors and then I let the leaves float until they sprout roots so I plant them.
The mother plant usually will send out side shoots and sometimes instead of a trim- I will lay the mother plant down on the substrate and lay a rock over it and it will send roots and anchor itself at every node.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #14 
carbonxxkidd

Wonderful, thank you so much! I will be trimming my wisteria with my next water change then! :D
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #15 
Sixwolf

Thanks for the help guys. c: I have my light bulb box in a different place right now, so I don't remember all the specs, but I can look them up later. It's just a compact fluorescent bulb.
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #16 
RobMc

I recommend trimming the plants at least 2/3 the way down. The top part itself will not regrow and if you trim high you'll end up with ugly side shoots all over the top of your tank (from experience). The regrowth tends to look nicer when you trim them no more than 3 inches from the substrate.
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wisteria