Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #1 
minpiner

betta fish with guppys?!?

i have a tetra tank with a betta fish in it now some one told me that you cant put any guppys with a betta because it will kill them and at almost three dollars for a guppy i wasnt going to try but i came home one day to find out my husband had been givin a bunch of free guppys and put them in the tank (not knowing of course) and they have been getting along just great (about 2 months)the betta leaves the guppys alone and vise versa so can any one tell me if it was true anout the bettas and guppys not allowed together? and if anyone wants to know how he put them in if they want to try with their betta fish i would be glad to let them know. and of course he has been told not to add anymore fish into the tanks we have be fore letting me know of the fish he is wanting to put in them cuz it may not work out for the better next time
minpiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #2 
nav2008

i have never tried but some bettas are much more peacefull than others, so maybe thats why? im assuming you have a large tank with lots of plants or hiding holes also?
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #3 
SinCrisis

weird, maybe ur betta has a better temperament than most. However, i did once get shrimp for my betta and tehy got along real well until like 2 weeks in and then my betta attacked and ate the shrimp. so maybe its just the calm before the storm... but hopefully not
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #4 
okiemavis

Most people don't recommend fancy guppies as the tails are very flashy and the bettas will try to attack. The common ones and females should be fine.

Bettas have a huge range in temperament so it really depends on the fish :)
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #5 
minpiner

well

its a 14 gal i have one plant and two tubes for hamsters in there the guppys that i do have in there are the fancys and both male and female but i also have snails in there and ghost shrimp 5 of them and he leaves them aloneand the cute thing is that one of my female guppys follows the betta around and they sleep together in the same tube she is always by his sideand never to far behind. so if that helps any they have been that way for about 2 months like i said i think if you add a bunch at one time with the betta you will be fine but i dont know its just what my husband did. but love to hear more though on it by the way he did flare at them to let them know that he was the boss that was it
minpiner is offline   Reply With Quote