Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #1 
mushumouse

water conditioners- one at a time?

hi again, quick question: is it possible to use two different water conditioners at the same time? my common sense re: chemicals is telling me no, but i don't know enough about what's in them to back this up. specifics- my betta's pectorals were battered looking when i got him and are still slowly healing, and then last night he bit up his tail. i'm going through a fish-in cycle and just started using prime a few days ago to manage the nitrite spikes i'm getting, and i don't want to discontinue that. but i also don't want his fins to get infected and want them to heal quickly, so if i'm allowed to add a bit of stress coat as well i would like to.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #2 
inveritas

Yes, you can use both Prime and Stress Coat together, although for a battered fin, I'd use either Melafix, Myzaxin, some aquarium salt or nothing at all - good food, a relaxing environment and some time is the best fix (imo) for torn fins.
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #3 
majesticstorm

Yes, you can use both of them together, I do it sometimes myself. But don't use Melafix since it has some tree oil in the ingredients that is harmful to your betta's labyrinth organ. I say for battered fins, Indian almond leaves are great, along with clean water.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #4 
bettaisbetter

+1 to magestic. ^
You can use both of them together. Just be careful to not overdose any one of them. The tea tree oil will coat their labyrinth preventing them from breathing. If you still want to use the -fix meds, go for Bettafix. It's the least powerful one with tea tree oil. Again, this can kill your betta. I will never recommend this product, and never will. IAL or washed dried oak leaves will prevent any infections.
bettaisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #5 
mushumouse

ok, thanks guys. i don't have any of the fix meds, i'm just interested in the conditioners right now. i assume i'm supposed to do 1 dose of each one since they can both be double-dosed.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #6 
Otterfun

I do 50/50 of Prime and Stress Coat+ and it has helped Fred recover from fin rot previously. Now I am doing it in addition to AQ salt in the QT tank w/ Fred which has a white lesion on his head.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

I use stress coat and a drop of either prime or amquel plus. They both detoxify ammonia and I have ammonia in my tap. Not all my tanks have filters or are cycled
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote