Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #1 
September

Tank troubles

Hello everyone, I'm new here No betta yet, as I need to get the stuff first. I'm having a few issues, though.

First being that I can't seem to find an aquarium. I can find them of course, but never one that would work for me.

I wanted to get a five gallon, rectangular shaped instead of bowed or hexagonal or whatever, so I started looking for those online at places like petsmart/petco. The cheapest I could find was part of a kit for $30, only the rest of the kit (which was just the hood, filter, and light) would be unusable to me, according to the reviews, because the light burns out quick and the filter is too strong for a betta.

So I kept looking, and I couldn't find any 5 gallons that were just the tank, that I could buy a hood for later.

I found a 2.5 gallon rectangle aquarium for $14, but I really don't want to go below 5 gallons. Not to mention they sell 10 gallons for the exact same price. I would just get a 10 gallon, but I don't have room for it. The betta would have to be kept in my room, and since I already have a mouse and a hamster, plus the normal things like a tv and radio, I only have the table-space for a 5 gallon or less. Except I don't want to go less.

Am I asking too much to find a rectangle shaped 5 gallon, with a hood that actually works? Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and get the $30, and just not use the attached light/filter?

I'd appreciate any help/advice.
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #2 
itsuki

go ahead and get that tank then buy: a pre filter sponge, and filter sponges and insert those at the output (where the water comes out) and then add a plastic baffle to ease the splash and flow of the water (u can find a diy/how to on this site), all these things will help slow down and ease the current from the filter, if you want to slow it down even more add a large plant and place it in front of the water flow's path. all the additional costs of the pre filter sponge and filter sponge should be under $6 and u should have a plastic water bottle laying around somewhere. hope this info helps, good luck on your future betta ventures :)
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #3 
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsuki View Post
go ahead and get that tank then buy: a pre filter sponge, and filter sponges and insert those at the output (where the water comes out) and then add a plastic baffle to ease the splash and flow of the water (u can find a diy/how to on this site), all these things will help slow down and ease the current from the filter, if you want to slow it down even more add a large plant and place it in front of the water flow's path. all the additional costs of the pre filter sponge and filter sponge should be under $6 and u should have a plastic water bottle laying around somewhere. hope this info helps, good luck on your future betta ventures :)
Thanks for the advice :D I've officially talked myself into a 10 gallon though. I'll probably just sell the TV, don't use it anyways. :)

Though I do have many more questions, so expect to see more threads from me once I get through all the stickies :)
September is offline   Reply With Quote