Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #1 
Juditko

Question Thinking of upgrading to Aqueon 5 gal mini bow?

Please help if you're familiar with the 5 gal Aqueon mini bows, or 5 gallon tanks in general.

Currently we have the 2.5 gallon mini bow for our single betta. I have a busy family, so I am needing a tank that doesn't need quite as much attention as the twice-weekly water change. I can go with ANY 5 gallon, but have extra filters, etc. to fit the mini bow, so it seems logical to consider the mini bow 5. According to Oldfishlady's water changes sticky, I could go with a 50% water change and 100% monthly on a 5 gallon tank.

(I would love to go to a 10 or 20 gallon tank, but I just bought a nice Hydor heater that only goes up to 7 gallons, and I really don't look forward to reinventing the wheel again! And the tank currently sits on a kid's dresser, so I'm thinking a 5 gallon is more weight friendly in that case.)

We have enjoyed the 2.5 mini bow after baffling the filter quite a bit. I wanted to do a quick survey and see if the mini bow 5 (which uses the same filter) has a gentler current, and if those who own it are happy with it and find that a once weekly water change is enough.

Other candidates could be a Walmart 5 gallon tank kit or some such. There is a Top Fin 5.5 kit at my local Petsmart. We've already done the 1 gallon to a 2.5 gal thing (all backwards lol), so I wanted to research this upgrade FIRST instead of after the fact. I would LOVE to go to a 10 gallon, but it would mean several additional expenses (another heater, etc) and I'd like to keep it simple if I could. But of course, keeping it simple would have been to research and buy the right tank in the first place. Sigh. We're learning. After dealing with a bit of fin rot and some fin tears from filter flow, we've so far learned smaller tank is not equal to less work. I wonder if biting the bullet and going to a 10 gallon now is the thing to do...but it seems the water change schedule would be the same (only dealing with more water!) I think if we are happy with the 5, and if the interest in fish continues in the family, the next step would likely be to a 20 gallon community...but that's several years down the road.

I thought I'd ask and learn from those who've already walked this road...please share your wisdom!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #2 
MorganC2010

Hello! I have the 5 gallon tank kit from walmart as you mentioned. I love how I don't have to change the water as much, I also have a 2.5-3gal bowl. I love this tank, the filter is quieter than I expected except when the water is lower than normal. However I do feel the filter current it a little strong. I've had to rig up a buffer using sponges to slow down the water flow. One of my bettas did not like the strength of it at all but my other 3 adapted pretty quickly. Also you should note that after 1 year one of my filters quit working and I have yet to determine the problem and get it fixed.

So in summery I love the size of my 5 gal tank, but if I had the money to do it again I would buy a filter that has a more gentle flow. But if you think you want a 10 gal, go for it. I'd get a gentle filter which the kits don't normally have so you could save some money and buy a tank only, I know I got one at the local pet store for around $12. then you could put some good money into a good filter. I hope all of my rambling has helped and good luck!
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, I had one of my bettas in a 5 gallon mini bow for a few months. I liked it. Once it's cycled you only have to change some of the water once a week, and the filter flow is pretty gentle (but my betta didn't like it once he got bigger, and he started biting his fins ). I think a lot of bettas wouldn't be bothered by it, though. It only moves the very surface of the water.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #4 
Otterfun

I like bow tank which is more spacious, but I am not a fan of the lighting and filter that came with it.

PetSmart has a (Marineland ??) 5g glass tank kit with lights and filter for $29.99 on sale. You only need to get a heater, thermometer, and change the bulbs to Daylight CFL.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I like bow tank which is more spacious, but I am not a fan of the lighting and filter that came with it.

PetSmart has a (Marineland ??) 5g glass tank kit with lights and filter for $29.99 on sale. You only need to get a heater, thermometer, and change the bulbs to Daylight CFL.
Just curious why you didn't like the lighting? I just switched the incandescent bulb to a CFL.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Just curious why you didn't like the lighting? I just switched the incandescent bulb to a CFL.
too hot with the incandescent bulb. got a tad cooler with the Aqueon Daylight 50/50 Blue. BUT I am not comfortable with the condensation that's gathered near the bulb area of the hood. I just felt that if I lift the hood, the water may roll towards the bulb connection.

FYI, there is corrosion in the base (screw part) of the incandescent bulb when I replaced it, and I am not sure if it is related to the moisture I described above.

Also, the light will increase the water temp slightly, making turning it off at night and causing a 4+/- degree drop a concern of mine.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #7 
Juditko

Update: so okay, I happened upon an Aqueon 10 gal w fluorescent hood on clearance, so here we are! I'm planning on doing my own filter as I go, and I've ordered a Hydor Theo heater for it...too bad my little 25 w won't do...but I loved it. So now to get it set up and cycled...and move Fish!

Thanks for all the help!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
Update: so okay, I happened upon an Aqueon 10 gal w fluorescent hood on clearance, so here we are! I'm planning on doing my own filter as I go, and I've ordered a Hydor Theo heater for it...too bad my little 25 w won't do...but I loved it. So now to get it set up and cycled...and move Fish!

Thanks for all the help!

Actually, a 25w heater for a 10 gallon isnt ideal, but it WILL work. I have a top-fin 25w in my 10 and it works amazingly. I havent ever had an issue with it. I know people suggest 50w for 10's but its not necessary if you dont want to purchase a new one.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 
waterdog

My favorite is the Marineland Hex 5. Gentle flow from the filter and I like the bio-wheel feature so when I do change filters I don't loose biological as much cause it's in the wheel!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote